Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 02:35 AM   #1

New member in Washington

Hello. I'm Scott, I'm w new member from Kennewick,WA. I do professional photography as a side business and I'm primarily a Nikon shooter (sorry). Recently I got a sudden urge to own a small mirror-less camera and after a bit of online research I settled on a Pentax Q. ShopNBC has them with the 02 zoom for under $250. In fact you can even buy it on "value pay" for six payments of $41!!

I couldnt pass it up so very soon I will be a first time Pentax owner! I have to say I'm looking forward to experimenting and playing around a lot with that Q. From all I've read it sounds like quite a fun and addictive little camera.

Well that's a little about me. Look forward to sharing lots of photography talk and getting to know people!

Scott

12-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sgav8r Quote
Hello. I'm Scott, I'm w new member from Kennewick,WA. I do professional photography as a side business and I'm primarily a Nikon shooter (sorry). Recently I got a sudden urge to own a small mirror-less camera and after a bit of online research I settled on a Pentax Q. ShopNBC has them with the 02 zoom for under $250. In fact you can even buy it on "value pay" for six payments of $41!!

I couldnt pass it up so very soon I will be a first time Pentax owner! I have to say I'm looking forward to experimenting and playing around a lot with that Q. From all I've read it sounds like quite a fun and addictive little camera.

Well that's a little about me. Look forward to sharing lots of photography talk and getting to know people!

Scott
Welcome aboard! There are actually quite a few people here on the site who primarily shoot Nikon, so you're not alone

In any case, that Q deal really is a steal. At launch, the same kit cost over $1000! While the camera does have its quirks, it's certainly fun to use, especially considering the fact that you can basically take it anywhere.

(for those of you interested in the deal, here it is: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/206375-pentax-q-zoom-k...1-shopnbc.html)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How reputable is shopnbc.com? They don't have a very good reseller rating score after a google search...
Charles.
12-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
I've bought from them several times and I think they're great. As long as you know a little about the product you're buying you shouldn't have any trouble. I think where the bad reviews come from is people watching on TV and taking everything the presenters say as gospel truth! They buy on impulse and then do the research later only to find out what they bought is a POS or available elsewhere online for way less money.

In the case of the Pentax Q, it's simply not available anywhere else for such a low price. Amazing that ShopNBC has everyone beat right now! And of course we all know that it's a great product. I don't think you can lose on this deal.

12-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I really, really wanted the 8.5mm prime, but the cheapest I can find the kit new is $390, and used $250 (ebay). That's $140 difference... and there's no way I'm ever getting the body cheaper than that. Hrm, decisions decisions.... I mean, I could afford a nice K mount adapter with that savings...

Charles.
12-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #6

Original Poster
I don't know where else you can find the 01 prime kit for this low of a price but I agree I'd like to have that lens too!

If it helps I can report that my order from ShopNBC went great. Took about one week to get it but it is a sweet little camera! Came with an extra memory card AND a free 2yr extended warranty too. And I'm happy to report that my 02 zoom is very sharp wide-open and feels really solid. I'd like to eventually add the 01 (hopefully there will be a price drop on it).