Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #1

Old Gear - still worth using?

Stumbled in here looking for info on some old gear. I have a ME Super body with an M 1:2.8 x 28mm lens, as well as M 1:1.7 x 50mm and M 1:3.5 x 135mm lenses. All of this has been stored for the past 18 years or so...I recently bought a Canon EOS T2i and am wondering if I should be trying to use my old Pentax lenses with it or not. I am not a camera / photography aficionado by any means and I want to keep things pretty simple as far as using the camera goes.

If it is not possible or worth the effort to use these lenses with my EOS, is there any value in the components or kit to someone who knows what it is?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

12-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TXSuperDave Quote
Stumbled in here looking for info on some old gear. I have a ME Super body with an M 1:2.8 x 28mm lens, as well as M 1:1.7 x 50mm and M 1:3.5 x 135mm lenses. All of this has been stored for the past 18 years or so...I recently bought a Canon EOS T2i and am wondering if I should be trying to use my old Pentax lenses with it or not. I am not a camera / photography aficionado by any means and I want to keep things pretty simple as far as using the camera goes.

If it is not possible or worth the effort to use these lenses with my EOS, is there any value in the components or kit to someone who knows what it is?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I wouldn't bother trying to use these lenses on your Rebel, as you would need an adapter and everything would be fully manual. They do work quite well with Pentax DSLRs, though, without the need for an adapter.

You can research their value here:
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Or by browsing the sold item archives:
Sold Items - PentaxForums.com

If you do decide to offload the gear, I think you'd be able to get sold it within a few days. You can list the stuff for sale here:
The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

I have been using my manual Pentax lenses on my T2i. The adapter I have is quite finicky, but it saves money. I suggest that you download Magic Lantern ---> Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki and install it. It gives you focus peaking/simulated spli-screen during live view to help you focus the manual lenses. Remember that you loose image stabilization. I shoot in Tv and meter through the viewfinder as the aperture is already set. Remember that there is a 1.6x conversion factor.

The easy manual focus/aperture ring is great to use in video, although you don't have image stabilization. If you choose to sell the Pentax lenses, the Tamron 17-50 with or without IS is a nice lens.

Last edited by photoman1; 12-12-2012 at 03:22 PM.
12-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of those lenses are pretty good. The M 50mm f1.7 is highly valued. Or rather, its great quality for the value. I'm not sure if it is useful on a Canon camera, but it works well on Pentax cameras. Though, I think Canon has an easier time adapting Pentax lenses than Nikon.
Oh, and I remember some stories of Canon people using Pentax lenses, specifically for video and macro purposes.