Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from UK - another one :)

Hello all

Wow, this seems like a friendly place

Just got a new black K-30 + 18-135 WR lens with 50 cashback, also bought a 40mm f2.8 Limited pancake as I really like using primes and this one looks good for general use - unfortunately it's all for Christmas so I have only had a short session to make sure all is working OK but first impressions are good

Read mixed reviews about the 18-135 WR but I really thought it would be best to get a WR lens to make the most of the body, I will have the 40mm when IQ is a priority anyway.

I'm very much an amateur enthusiast, DSLR wise I've previously owned a Nikon D40 which was my first DSLR 4 years ago and a great introduction to DSLRs, more recently I had a Canon T2i/550D which I didn't really like anywhere near as much as the D40.

I nearly went back to Nikon with a D5100 but there were too many plus points about the K-30 that won me over, mainly the WR body with better build, 100% pentaprism VF, in-body SR, dual dials and better overall ergonomics.

I also use compacts for when the DSLR is a bit OTT in certain situations but also to use as a 2nd 'body' when swapping the lens isn't convenient for quick snapshots of unexpected photo opportunities, my current one is the Sony RX100 which is the best compact I've had and can highly recommend for anyone looking for a small take everywhere camera.

Anyway, looking forward to joining the Pentaxian family properly on 25th December

12-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've enjoyed the 18-135 on my K-5. It can be pretty sharp, but like any zoom it's a compromise. You might be able to find a couple inexpensive older manual lenses to play with, too. They'll teach you more about your camera than anything else can.

Get out and have fun with that weather-resistant rig you'll have in a couple weeks!
12-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I've enjoyed the 18-135 on my K-5. It can be pretty sharp, but like any zoom it's a compromise. You might be able to find a couple inexpensive older manual lenses to play with, too. They'll teach you more about your camera than anything else can.

Get out and have fun with that weather-resistant rig you'll have in a couple weeks!
Thanks for the tip and yes I plan to get out and enjoy some cold weather picture taking with the K-30 ASAP, no more having to tell the kids to stop throwing water (or snow for that matter) around when I have the camera out

Yes the 18-135 sounds like it can be pretty sharp especially stopped down but that's par for the course anyway with zooms usually, it'll be mainly used outdoors so as long as it's bright enough that shouldn't be a problem. The K-30 looks pretty good at high ISOs anyway, think I'll be pretty comfortable using ISO 6400. The 40mm limited will be for my low-light shooting to begin with, it looks sharp wide open - might have to invest in a faster lens if I find 2.8 and 6400 (might even try 12800) still isn't enough, I'm not a big fan of flash unless it is done properly off-board or just for a bit of fill.
12-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

For a little fill the flash is good - there are also LED video lights which don't give that flash burn. They don't have the reach, but they're pretty useful. Generally I agree - flash use is pretty tricky and often not needed. Gary Fong makes the "puffer" diffuser for the on-board flash which really works well for fill flash.

12-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
For a little fill the flash is good - there are also LED video lights which don't give that flash burn. They don't have the reach, but they're pretty useful. Generally I agree - flash use is pretty tricky and often not needed. Gary Fong makes the "puffer" diffuser for the on-board flash which really works well for fill flash.
Thanks I'll check out that Gary Fong diffuser, sounds like a worth while investment if it works OK.
12-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

It does work well, though you'll still have to remmber long/big lenses will eclipse some of the flash if they're wide-angle - it's not as noticable with the diffuser, but it's still an onboard flash. At least the flash doensn't consistently burn the subject with this on - or overexpose!