Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2012, 03:33 AM   #1

Teaching my 8 year old grandson photography

I gave my grandson a camera for Christmas yesterday because he's leaving for Texas tomorrow. Today's the day I teach him how to use his new toy ( Pentax WG-2), anyone have suggestion on where to start?

12-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, because this section is for introductions not many people will read your question, I suggest you post it in the Pentax Beginners Corner part of the forum where you should get many replies.
12-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KenMasonphotography Quote
I gave my grandson a camera for Christmas yesterday because he's leaving for Texas tomorrow. Today's the day I teach him how to use his new toy ( Pentax WG-2), anyone have suggestion on where to start?
If you really want to teach him photography, give him an old manual camera first. That will get him to understand the basics of photography. The WG-2, unfortunately, doesn't let you control any settings manually (apart from exposure compensation).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's done is done.

To teach him with this tool, the main things he can learn are composition, framing, the effect of lighting angle and the physical skills of holding a camera for good effect.

Take him out and get him to take some pictures, including variations of the same subjects, go to a place where you can see them clearly on the screen, and talk to him about the reasons why some are more interesting than others. Then repeat a few times. Go to a place with subjects that are interesting to him, then he can integrate his interst in photopgraphy with his interst in other things.

12-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KenMasonphotography Quote
Composition first. The rest will follow.

This is duplicate thread. Sort of frowned upon in forums :-)

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-15-2012 at 03:20 PM.
12-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
8 year old

It is a duplicate thread because it was recommended to list it somewhere else by webmaster for more replies. Anyway we went outside after some quick lessons, I set up my tripod and let him do the rest. He asked a lot of questions which I think is great, we tried to photo the moon but it stayed behind the clouds. The lesson I tried to impress on him was to emphasize the subject. And the different ways to simplify the image. For only 8 years old he never lost interest, I'm just as excited as he is.