Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Hi everyone which lens?

Hi everyone new to the forum! I know this has probably been covered a lot recently, but i can't decide on the Tamron 70-200 or the Sigma 70-200 for my K5. I'm put off by noisy screwdrive and not so good/fast AF on the Tamron. Even though the Sigma has HSM and better AF the picture quality is inferior apparently. Of course money is a concern! recently read Tamron have released a new 70-200 with a focusing motor, but not in Pentax mount. Should i wait until it's released in pentax mount? AF is important, but so is IQ and the lack of noise would also be an advantage.

Regards

Adrian

12-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you seen a head-to-head comparison to base the supposed superiority of the Tamron? I suspect the difference would be hard to pick.
Consider the older, non-OS Sigma if you want to save a few bucks and still get HSM, quick shift and the wonderful EX build quality(and the zoom ring in the right spot).
12-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Have you seen a head-to-head comparison to base the supposed superiority of the Tamron? I suspect the difference would be hard to pick.
Consider the older, non-OS Sigma if you want to save a few bucks and still get HSM, quick shift and the wonderful EX build quality(and the zoom ring in the right spot).
Hi Sandy

No i haven't, just heard the tamron has better IQ. Do you have any experience with either lens that you could share. For me personally, if you don't have good AF whats the point of good IQ cus you may end up with a blurred shot or miss it altogether.
Sigma owners your thoughts please!
12-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I could go back and choose, I'd have chosen the Sigma 70-200 EX DG OS HSM, even at the +500 over the Tamron.

Reason:
Tamron screwdrive is very noisy when it misses focus and racks back and forth.
Tamron AF motor likes to hesitate and stutter towards focus on my k-x. In good light or with a good contrasty subject, it doesn't. In bad light, or when shooting ambiguous subjects, it can be very very annoying.

As far as IQ goes - I adore my Tamron's IQ (especially below 150mm). I also love the color renditions, the bokeh, and the lightness of it (it's about 2/3 the weight of the Sigma and the FA*80-200). But I don't mind weight, and I absolutely love the HSM on my Sigma 50 F1.4. And the newer Sigma 70-200 EX DG OS HSM is supposed to be sharper than the Tamron. The previous Sigma's (70-200 EX DG HSM II and earlier) were weaker than the Tamron.

12-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Adam's thoughts...

Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron - PentaxForums.com
12-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This is a good suggestion.
12-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the non-OS version and I'm very happy with it. It could be sharper @ 200mm f2.8, but it's mostly going to be noticeable at large prints anyways. I'd say I have bigger issues with shake blur than the "softness" at that setting.