Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello All from a New Member

Hello,
I've lurked around a bit and decided to join. I have the Pentax Q w/prime and 5-15 zoom lenses. I fell into a bit of luck and found a site that had listed the 2 lens kit for $65.11 AUD. I thought "what the heck" and pushed the 'buy it now' button. I thought they would just contact me and say they couldn't sell it at that price, but they did ship it to me. Took about 5 days all up. I did check the price about 10 minutes after I ordered and it was then up to $499.
I'm an old (near 60 dammit) film shooter who put the cameras away long before the digital revolution. I managed camera stores for a few years and had the pleasure of owning and shooting with a variety of excellent equipment. I used to shoot portraits and weddings for a few extra bucks, but I was much more of a B&W experimenter both in the camera and in the lab.
Anywho, years passed and I bought a point and shoot digital. I thought it did a reasonable job for what it was, but I had no control over what was happening and no way to alter the outcome.
Very recently I bought another long zoom point and shoot and was very dissatisfied with the results. It was muddy and noisy. That is what prompted me to begin to search for something better. I scoured the interweb and made a couple of calls. Someone steered me toward the mirrorless cameras (I wanted a better video option as I have a son in competitive sports).
I'll admit it was the hope of getting the camera for such a low price that turned me toward the Pentax Q, but then I began to read reviews and check forums (this one in particular) where I saw sample shots and saw some of the ingenious things people were doing with it. Almost to a person people said this little camera had put a great deal of fun back into their photography. That was what I was looking for.
I'm still learning what all the buttons and dials do (never had them on my old Spotmatic) and I've ordered a couple of accessories to play with.
They were right, it is a fun camera with a lot of user options that I was missing. If I ever figure out how to use the thing I'll post a couple of pics from it.
This seems like a nice place with good people dedicated to photography, I hope I can fit in here.
Cheers,
Spudlabs

12-18-2012, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and congratulations with that Q and lens "steal"!