Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Indroduction

Hi guys,

My name is Amir. I live in Australia and I have a K-5 and K20D, 16-50 DA*, FA 50, Sigma 28-80, Sigma 70-300, Pentax 18-55 and some other stuff including a Sigma 530 ST flash which I'm having trouble with.

Looking to get your advice and learn and share.

Regards
Amir

12-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hi, Amir. I have a K20D and wanted to know your opinion regarding the difference in clarity between that and your K5? I'm getting ready to buy either the K5-II or IIs and want to get a handle on making the right choice. I have a Sigma 530 Pro (?) flash and, get reasonable results. I used to use a Vivitar 285 with my Pentax K2dmd in the film days and got really good results. If you're having issues with the Sigma flash, you may just like the back-to-basics ergonomics of the Vivitar or, look into the new touch screen Metz that's coming out soon. I suppose what I like about the Sigma is the auto-zooming head but, there's a lot of "unintuitive" button pushing to get through menu selections.
12-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SlamDesiAK Quote
Hi, Amir. I have a K20D and wanted to know your opinion regarding the difference in clarity between that and your K5? I'm getting ready to buy either the K5-II or IIs and want to get a handle on making the right choice. I have a Sigma 530 Pro (?) flash and, get reasonable results. I used to use a Vivitar 285 with my Pentax K2dmd in the film days and got really good results. If you're having issues with the Sigma flash, you may just like the back-to-basics ergonomics of the Vivitar or, look into the new touch screen Metz that's coming out soon. I suppose what I like about the Sigma is the auto-zooming head but, there's a lot of "unintuitive" button pushing to get through menu selections.
Hi SlamDesiAK,

Firstly, in response to your question about the difference between the K20D and the K5, I can say there's an ocean of difference between the two. The only thing that's annoying about the K5 is that you can't set the focus point in auto mode (or use centre focus point) for that matter. That really annoys me because I take a lot of shots of moving planes and I can't always trust the K5 to pick the right focus point especially when it might have something in the background or in a group.
Outside of that, everything about the K5 is better, especially low light performance and focus accuracy which with the K20 and some of my pentax lenses (especially FA 50 1.4) was hit and miss.

So while I love the K5, I can't bare to part with my K20 either. Let's face it, probably only worth $200 with all the accessories anyway and it gives me a spare to give to friends at parties.

Secondly, about the flash, I'm looking at the top of the range Metz as an option. Probably could suffice with the 50 rather than the 58 anyway.

BTW, what's the IIs?

Regards
Amir
12-22-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melbflyer Quote
Hi SlamDesiAK,

Firstly, in response to your question about the difference between the K20D and the K5, I can say there's an ocean of difference between the two. The only thing that's annoying about the K5 is that you can't set the focus point in auto mode (or use centre focus point) for that matter. That really annoys me because I take a lot of shots of moving planes and I can't always trust the K5 to pick the right focus point especially when it might have something in the background or in a group.
Outside of that, everything about the K5 is better, especially low light performance and focus accuracy which with the K20 and some of my pentax lenses (especially FA 50 1.4) was hit and miss.

So while I love the K5, I can't bare to part with my K20 either. Let's face it, probably only worth $200 with all the accessories anyway and it gives me a spare to give to friends at parties.

Secondly, about the flash, I'm looking at the top of the range Metz as an option. Probably could suffice with the 50 rather than the 58 anyway.

BTW, what's the IIs?

Regards
Amir
Hi, Amir. I think the Metz is a safe bet in the flash department. The touchscreen version caught my attention yet, there's something about the Vivitar's utilitarian simplicity that I like. Regardless, the IIs is the K-5IIs, one of two new DSLRs (redesigned K5's) that came out on the market recently. The K-5IIs doesn't have the anti-aliasing filter whereas the K-5II does. The choice between the two is vexing me to no ends so, I'm in here absorbing as much knowledge and opinions that I can from people much wiser than myself.