Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

Lurker from Alaska

Having been what Adam refers to as a "lurker", I thought I'd finally get off the bench and submit a thread. I've been reading up on the latest information regarding the K5-II and the IIs as I'm in the market to upgrade from my K20D. Being a graphic artist by trade, I see the wisdom in JohnBee's submittals re: intelligent post-processing via sharpening. (I'm assuming that's what he means by "deblurring"?). To me, Photoshop isn't an issue but, waiting for years for Pentax to achieve an "excellent" image rating is. Finally, with the K5, it's happened... although, I don't own one.

Part of my issue, admittedly, has been buying standard (DA) lenses for my cameras; more of a financial necessity than a blatant choice. My son, on the other hand, spits out extremely clear images with his Canon Rebel T3i and an 18-55 kit lens - which would probably be considered "standard" from a purist's standpoint. Being a 70's Pentax user (first camera: Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F then a K2dmd), I'm wondering if I'm a true Pentax devotee' or, I have some blind devotion that I can't let go of. Being extremely familiar with the ergonomics of my K20D, I'm leaning towards Pentax and the K5-II but... there's the lure of the obscene clarity of the IIs. On one side, sharpening; on the other side, occasional moire scrubbing. Decisions, decisions.

Regardless, many thanks to all who've posted and either quenched my thirst for current Pentax knowledge or, caused me to take pause in my upcoming purchase.

Merry Christmas from the visual wonderland that is Alaska.

12-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join us.
12-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, eaglem. So, you own a K-5IIs, right? Are you amazed by it? I've been riveted to JohnBee's postings re: the K-5II and IIs but, I'm assuming either one will be strides ahead of my K20D.
12-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

If you want super sharp shots with great resolution I'd say the K-5 II.s is the camera you want and as far as what lenses that would depend on what you wish to shoot.

12-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Here's another sample

12-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF ... and great samples ! J
12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow. I'm assuming that you (eaglem) have glass on the front of that IIs as opposed to my "lens". Although, my old Asahi Pentax Primes - from my file days - could get me closer to the results that I've envisioned. Thanks, Jean, for the welcome. Much appreciated.
12-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I was using the Sigma 105mm F2.8 Macro which are not overly expensive.