Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from High Wycombe, UK

Hello to new friends,

I have just joined this excellent forum after 30 years taking slide pictures initially with a manual SLR (does anyone remember the Edixa SLRs?) but mostly with a Pentax ME Super. My experience is mostly with landscape photography and am now faced with the daunting task of converting some 6000+ slides into digital format. I am using a Nikon Coolscan IV ED which gives excellent copies but slooowly. Any advice on rapid high quality copying would be most welcome. I am now using a K-r purchased partly with a view to using my legacy M series lenses (a 50mmF1.7 and a 28-50mm zoom) and a legacy flashgun AFT280T. I feel barely up to date in this company but look forward to becoming digitally competent. As must be obvious I have been around long enough to be retired so am spending more time on a hobby that I used to love. I have never had the time (or made the time) to craft my photos with a view to displaying them and posting them in public so will be looking for advice here.

An historical note: both my grandfather and great uncle were exceptionally keen and talented amateur photographers in the 1920s and 30s. There is an extensive family library including much original video footage that has been donated to a university and is now part of an historical archive about family life in the inter-war years. Some of this has been converted to DVD and makes compelling viewing. My great uncle learned his photography initially as a photo reconnaissance flyer in WW1. He spent four months at the battle of the Somme flying up and down the German trenches at 600 ft photographing their trenches - not a healthy occupation but it did call for a steady hand which he said came in handy later on. My father also learned his photography in wartime, WW2. He returned from that with some exotic but mainly damaged cameras.

What I have learned form this is how important photographs and movies are in families and in being able to remember back beyond your own and your parents' lives. So I am trying to reorganise and present my photos so that they will make some intuitive sense to my grandchildren (and beyond). This is a task that requires an integration of movies, still pictures and commentary/accompaniment. We obviously need to be film producers and this is far from easy. I am sure the expertise in this forum is going to really valuable.

Sorry for the long introduction but hope it has meaning for you.

John McGee

12-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum, John! Lots of expertise here!
12-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome John. Hope you find it as useful as I have around here.