Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #1

Pentax LX

hello, I'm new here!

I started my amateur photographer life with a sturdy Pentax ME, back in 1989 (it was then already 13 years old!!). I am ever happy to refill her with a slide film.

After trying to beef my pictures up [ I went astray and had Olympus OM2 + OM 40 for some time, a Canon A-1 for a very short period] with other lenses and camera systems, I went back "home". The Canon disappointed me badlyy, the OM-2's cloth curtains went kaputt after some 100 film rolls.
So, I had to search my luck somewhere else.

Pentax SuperA (I think in the American market she had another name): the only features I missed were EV-memory and a more silent release. It kachings! and Klongs! heavily. But neither water vapours nor a casual drop from the running bicycle had a nefarious effect on her. I kept her till today.

1993 finally I bought 2nd hand a Pentax LX version.2. A dream came true:the same light metering as my old OM-2, a marvellous sleek and simple body with much smoother release as the SuperA. Some 10 months later there it was, the sticky-mirror-syndrome. I got it repaired for some 150 $, and stick to her.

In the meantime, because the optical and-above all- mechanical aspects of my M-series lenses seemed a little bit flimsy, I did an incursion in spotmatic terrain.
Wows and ooohs about magnificent smooth 2,0/35, 1,8/55, 1,8/85 (which I stupidly sold after a short time), 3,5/35 optics. But how would I get to shoot my studio portraits with potent flashes as well as with the SuperA and LX (I own also 3 AF400T flashes with the whole lot of 5m-chords) using that camera of the sixties?
From all those SFX's SF7's, Zxx's, MZxx's that ensued, I only liked truly the MZ5 because of her handling and LX-like knobs. But I never got comfortable with her, although she lacks nothing.

Then began the digicam era. I smiled at those 3Mpix cams of the first years. And continued charging Kodachromes into the soft bellies of the SuperA and the LX. Kodachromes were discontinued, Konica (yes, sometimes I did like the sakurachrome!!!) Agfa went bankrupt, all this is more than sad: it fills me with deep sorrow.

And I waited for some Leaf digital back for my Pentax LX. And waited, and waited. It never came. Is it because marketing people are all under 20 years of age????

The K200D pleases me a lot: it has a silvery dress, is silent, adapts very well to my M, A, F-series lenses
The K-x has a much better IQ, but is finder-wise a crap in comparison to the K200D (again, those under-20 marketing kids??).

So, as I'm still waiting for a decent LX (she has VERY good matte viewfinder screens for EVERY conceivable uses, from general to astrophysical); more than enough viewfinders) upgradeable digital back, and being somewjhat frustrated about the K-5's prospects , I decided to upgrade my photographic paraphernalia with something from the 80s:

I bought myself this Xmas a

Pentax 645 with 75mm, 55mm, 45mm and 80~160mm lenses 2nd hand in that big auction's house, for 550 €, I reckon some 500 $.

You can call me retarded or revisionist or passé-ist:all of it is true. And I'm still hoping there will be someday someone developing Kodachromes again. or, better: there'll be someone offering me a digital back for the LX.

Yours truly,

oldMElove

12-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome aboard as anyone who knows the LX can't be all bad . . .

Make sure to visit the Pentax Film SLR Discussion and share pics and stories!
12-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I think there is more than one of us who can empathise with you on most of what you say, if not all. I missed most of the development of Pentax from the 1980s up to the digital era, because I'd bought a K2DMD in 1981 and couldn't see any point in changing! I recently bought an LX with winder to return to film, and I can understand its attraction, but for practical purposes the K2DMD still shines (and it's so small!). I bought an istD when they were released, and haven't regretted it, though its replaced by a K-5 now.

Regardless of all that, welcome to the Forums, and let's see some of your photos, please!
12-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, I think there is more than one of us who can empathise with you on most of what you say, if not all. I missed most of the development of Pentax from the 1980s up to the digital era, because I'd bought a K2DMD in 1981 and couldn't see any point in changing! I recently bought an LX with winder to return to film, and I can understand its attraction, but for practical purposes the K2DMD still shines (and it's so small!). I bought an istD when they were released, and haven't regretted it, though its replaced by a K-5 now.

Regardless of all that, welcome to the Forums, and let's see some of your photos, please!
The K2, especially the K2dmd is one of my wishing-list-cameras too!

But with some 20+ camera bodies , I'd start to refrain looking for it.