Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #1

New to photography and this forum

Hello ladies and gentlemen

I'm looking to learn a lot for everybody on this site.

I just bought a Pentax k100D with a SMC Pentax-DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL lens and a Quantaray 1.4-5.6 f=70 210mm multicoated lens.
i have no idea how good either of them are, but I do know that Pentax is a great entry level camera, or so I've read on this site and other sites.

Aside from reading and experimenting how else can I hope to improve my photography skills?

Thank you all for your time and responses

12-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome..................start by following the new thread started today

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/209829-single-lens...erwhelmed.html
12-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
See What you Like?

Hello Enfield, Welcome to the Forum!
Good luck with your new gear! you're on the right track, reading and experimenting are two of the best ways to improve your results.
Since you have 2 zoom lenses, you have a chance to find out how you "see" the world in photos. For example, say you use the 18-55mm lens for 100 shots, all different types of photos.
Upon looking at the photos, you discover that a greater number of photos are taken using the 20-24mm focal range (an example). This shows that you enjoy a wider view, more of the "scenic" perspective, as opposed to the telephoto length. A telephoto tends to isolate subjects and eliminate the surroundings.
When it comes time to start looking for a prime (fixed focal length, like a 28mm lens, as opposed to a zoom), you will have a better idea of what will suit your shooting "style" or more accurately, your perspective.
Most photographers have a mix of prime and zoom lenses, since zooms are more convenient for changing situations and views, while a prime is (generally) sharper, faster and smaller.
You can achieve the same thing by looking at the photos of other users, but I think looking at your own work is more accurate and rewarding.
Just an idea for you!
Ron
12-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Get out there and shoot shoot shoot !