Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Francesca new user

Hi everyone!
I've never used a forum before... but I think this one is great. I'm learning a lot about my k30! I will need a lot of suggestions for my new camera... beginning with lens... I'm looking for something new! CIAO!

12-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard! If you want lens suggestions you have come to the right place

Your K-30 is a weather resistant camera so I suggest that you consider getting a weather resistant lens to go with it so you can use it in all conditions without fear. The 18-135 is the most versatile of the WR lenses in my opinion.
12-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Welcome Aboard! If you want lens suggestions you have come to the right place

Your K-30 is a weather resistant camera so I suggest that you consider getting a weather resistant lens to go with it so you can use it in all conditions without fear. The 18-135 is the most versatile of the WR lenses in my opinion.
Sound a good solution to me! Is there a market place on the forum where I could ask? I don't have a big budget, so.... :v
12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Siskan Quote
Sound a good solution to me! Is there a market place on the forum where I could ask? I don't have a big budget, so.... :v
Yes, the marketplace has a wanted items section.
Wanted Items - PentaxForums.com

Alternatively, if you are on a tighter budget (the 18-135 runs $435+ in the US) you could get the 18-55 in its Weather Resistant (WR) form. The 18-55 comes in 3 versions 18-55 DAL, 18-55 Ver.II, and 18-55WR - they all have the same optical formula but vary in some of the other parts. The WR version would be nice on your K-30 and if you already have the 18-55DAL you could sell it to recover some of the cost of the WR version.

12-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome! The great thing about Pentax is that you can even use legacy lenses, even from the 80s, as long as they are k-mount! You can use even older m42 lenses with the right adapter. So if you are on a budget and want high quality primes (fixed focal length lenses), Pentax is a good choice. There is a lens review section on this forum and a couple open threads where newbies are asking about new lenses, feel free to join in
01-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the replyes! Yes, this is one of the reasons y I choose Pentax. I already bought a Vivitar 28mm... I find it very difficult to use without AF! What can you tell me about Tokina? are these lens also only MF?
Any advise on how to use MF lenses? Sometines i try focusin while continus shooting... one will come in focus, i thought... but that doesn't always work...
01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

With manual lenses you can try zone focusing (or hyperfocal focusing).
Or you can try using Catch-in-focus (also known as CiF or focus trapping).
Please search the internet for more details, other people have explained it better than I can
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/51036-how-use...tch-focus.html
(you can do CiF without cable as well)
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums and enjoy youur new K-30 ... J

01-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi to every one and thank you so so much for your advise! I'll try playing about with mmy Vivitar then... And meanwhile I'm looking for a lens to substitute my 18 55. I think tamron 28-75 2.8...