Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Trying to get beyond auto mode

Any suggestions on some tutorials on basic photo techniques. I recently watched a Bryan Peterson dvd, The Perfect Picture which I liked. It had a series of basic tips and techniques with examples of ways to try them on your own. I'm anxious to try two techniques in particular; a graduated neutral density filter for overexposed skies and extension tubes for macro shots.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

12-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found the best thing that helped me was to get out and do a short course at a community centre of something.
The other big tip I was given was to initially move to Av mode, where your really only worried about the aperture size. It's kind of an easy first step and gives you a chance to play with depth of focus which can give you some cool, initial effects

Best of luck mate!
12-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm no expert and this may or may not be helpful to you, but what really helped me was picking up an old 1980's film SLR. Much more simple device, and the 3 corners of the exposure triangle are really obvious. Using it without a flash for a few months made the implications of those points much more clear to me. Now, back to digital, there are so many more settings and options, but I can always fall back on those 3 elements.

Just a thought from someone going through what it sounds like you are.
12-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took a 6 week course offered at a local camera shop. I rarely shoot full auto now. Try joining the single challenge, you get to really understand a single lens for the whole month. The added bonus is we gently offer praise and comments and it is a great way to grow more comfortable shooting.

12-31-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like Lurch, I agree that Av mode is a good starting point for understanding reciprocity of settings and proper exposure.
When I got my first camera and knew nothing about it, I bought a manual M50/1.7 lens, set it to M mode and spent a few weeks figuring it out all by myself. That type of immersion experience was invaluable to me and now I know my camera inside and out. Not everyone wants to do that, i understand, but consider it to master the tool.