Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

Hello from Quebec-Canada

Hi.
My name is Chris Fugle and currently I am in the mountainous Laurentians in Quebec.
I may be the only nuthead to buy a Pentax because of this thread. Currently I have a small refreshed Sony A33 system with a Tamron 90mm macro, Sony 30mm macro, beer-can 70-300mm cheap Sony and a kit lens along with various accessories for macro flash work.
As much as I love my A33 for it's blazing speed and fast AF it has it's limitations. I would love to upgrade to an A77 but the cost are out of my reach right now.
I had one of those flashbacks as a child (the older I get the more frequent these become) of my kind neighbour who worked for Pentax Canada back in the 60-80's. He swore to me that when I was ready he would take me on a tour of their HQ here in Canada (Mississauga I believe) and he let me use his Pentax LX with a removable pentaprism. It was so heavy/solid and I took a few rolls of photos with it. He offered me a great deal on a new camera (probably cost for him) but my father said it was still too much and I would need to live with my Agfamatic rangefinder. I loved pentax and drooled over the LX and the ME at the time.
Because this flashback was so thorough, I started to Google Pentax models from my childhood for fun and came across this forum/community.

The level of information, quality of communication and passion moved me. I read all the reviews of the K10-/20 models are started to actively search eBay for a good deal.
Today I completely an acquisition of a used K-7, 18-55mm WR kit lens which hopefully will arrive before my vacation late Jan to Barbados, as well as the grip and spare batteries.

My A33 has serious issues in the humid regions of the island where Barbados' small dense jungle exists. My passion for floral macro photography was severely limited as my system would just stop functioning until it "dried out" overnight.
We are not talking fog,rain or sleet here…just high humidity. If the K-7 arrives in time I will be grateful for the protection the better body offers. I am also excited for 2 command e-dials and mostly for the Hyper-program/Sensitivity function which does not have an equivalent on my Sony. How many times have I wanted to capture deep closeup of an insect or flower but lost the opportunity for having to mess around with menus and buttons while looking at a LCD screen for confirmation?

So here I am,excited to get and play with the new starter system. Looking for great advice on new macro lenses to consider.
Thanks for the hearty welcome!
Chris

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SLT-A33  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SLT-A33  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SLT-A33  Photo 
12-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Chris,

Welcome to Pentax Forums. Can I come with you to Barbados? It was -22c when I left for the gym this morning! This is an incredible group of people who will be happy to help. I'm sorry I have yet to pick up my own macro set up, but the lens database has lots of reviews that would be the best place to have a look while you wait for some responses. If you do a search on macro lenses there are a few threads that would also help. I only know as I asked a similar question recently.

bigted
12-31-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF! Good luck on your trip and post us some images, too - J
01-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Salut voisin!

Pat

01-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
Je suis un vrai anglaphone au Québec, mais je comprends un peu le français. Je parle mieux que je vous écris. Merci pour lLa bienvenus. Vous devez me faire savoir où il ya des magasins de matériel photo décent à Montréal / Laval car il n'y a rien dans les Laurentides. Merci Chris