Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Venturing into the world of digital photography!

Hello to everyone out there!
Wishing you all a very happy and prosperous new year.

After giving up photography because of the difficulty of obtaining film and the chemicals needed to develop it I have decided to finally venture kicking and screaming into the digital world of photography. It may be a wee bit presumptuous of me but I have just ordered a K5 iis today, jump in with both feet and hope I can swim! I do have a question, most of my pictures will be in black and white, so is it better to use the monochrome setting on the camera or try to use whichever photoshop program that is recommended?
Thanks Again! And have a happy new year!

12-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Howdy!

I suggest shooting raw and doing whatever you want in software. You will have more options and flexibility.
12-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I would recommend shooting in color then converting to B&W with Photoshop. Congratulations on the K-5iis, I am very jealous.
12-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Wow, starting with a K-5IIs! Be sure to read up on digital a little, that can be a demanding camera. At least, if you want to get the most out of it!
If you set the camera to monochrome (or any other setting), it will only affect jpegs. Jpeg photos are "developed" in-camera, by the camera's algorithms. Usually photographers prefer to shoot raw (which means the camera doesn't do much with the data it records, though it does some things anyway). Raw files contain a lot more information and allow a lot more processing to be done. Jpegs lose quality every time you edit and "save" them, but raw files don't. Considering you used to develop your own film, you will probably want some software (like Lightroom (very popular, but not totally Pentax-firendly), Aperture, Silkypix (comes with camera), Faststone, ... there are many and there are differences between them) and develop the raw files yourself.
I only shoot jpeg when I want to save space or when I know the camera will process the photo the way I like it.

01-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the great advice! I'm not sure what happened, but my newly ordered K-5 iis has given birth to a bouncing K30! Does anyone in here know if there is a form of birth control that will prevent anymore pentax purchases. My wife reading over my shoulder, decided that she wanted to give up the simple point and shoot, and found the K30 was just perfect for her, a match made in digital heaven. Since the K30 and the K-5 iis use the same lenses and batteries we would be able to share! It sure is going to be fun! I will be needing all kinds of advice, possibly the name of a good divorce lawyer if she tries to borrow my pentax 300mm F4 lens. Thanks in advance.
BMcN
01-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to have you here BMcN, and I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting with that responsive K-5 IIs. But what, you picked up a K30 as well? That's full blown CBA (camera buying addiction) for you - better get that treated quickly before the next Pentax camera is announced...

You'll probably want to be shooting with each others' cameras for a while, because each camera has their own strengths (but the K-5 IIs is awesome ).
Enjoy the forum.
01-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Good job! Jumping into the deep end. I like that!

Your wife bought a K30 on a whim? Wow, she's awesome. I see there will be no trouble once the LBA hits.
01-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good to have you here BMcN, and I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting with that responsive K-5 IIs. But what, you picked up a K30 as well? That's full blown CBA (camera buying addiction) for you - better get that treated quickly before the next Pentax camera is announced...

You'll probably want to be shooting with each others' cameras for a while, because each camera has their own strengths (but the K-5 IIs is awesome ).
Enjoy the forum.
Thanks!
I honestly believe Pentax does not receive the respect it deserves. My wife has found the K30 to be a very easy camera to master. She has found that the actual size of the camera and the control placement fit her just a wee bit better than the K-5 iis. A huge sigh of relief, my K-5 iis is safely in my camera bag, at least for now.
I am having a great time just learning the K-5 iis, holding it and getting the feel of the various controls. I have played with the Nikon D7000 and Canon 600D, and for weight and feel, in my opinion, the Pentax wins hands down.
Now all we need is the lenses to be delivered. OK, I see all the looks of horror, but I ordered the cameras before I ordered the lenses, yep, I may not be the sharpest lens in the bag, but I do know that if the cameras were clunky and uncomfortable, they was going back.
Where we live, none of the stores in town carried Pentax, and only a very limited supply of Nikons and Canons in the SLR line, thus, Online was our only option.
Thanks all and looking forward to reading more of your opinions and exploits.
BMcN.