Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
goodbye Nikon, hello Pentax

My D70 served me well (and I love Nikkor micro lenses), but when a hot pixel reared its head, it was time for a change. I usually tend to go for things that are "different" so while I am a Nikon fan I decided to look elsewhere. I recently picked up a Leica D-Lux 3 and have been having a blast shooting raw 16x9 native in a p&s. But I need a killer macro setup, and wanted weather resistance. So after going crazy reading everything I could I narrowed it down to an e510 or K10d. A quick trip to the local shop put that quandry to rest quite quickly. All you need to do is look into the viewfinder

At any rate, got the K10d, kit 18-55 and also picked up the 50-200 although the jury is still out on that one. I also got the 16-50* but took it back - unimpressed. Now I'm trying to figure out which macro to get, and whether I get the 50/1.4 now or maybe one of the pancake primes for indoors, etc.

At any rate, I've already shot a couple hundred photos figuring everything out. Impressive camera. Now just need to find the glass to match it.

02-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Nostatic and welcome. I guess the Nikon served you well, hope the Pentax can do like wise.
Macros: Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8, crisp sharp shots (well, on mine anyway) others like Sigmas in the same focal length.
A lot rave about the 50 f1.4, and then you have the pancakes you have mentioned and the Ltd series you haven't mentioned.
Looks like your going to be a regular camera store lurker.
Guess you know about LBA?
Cheers
02-17-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LBA? I know not...

Have you shot the 50mm macro?
02-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
LBA? I know not...

Lens Buying Addiction

Seems to be a common condition here.

02-17-2008, 11:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh great...another addiction, um, er, I mean *hobby*.

Yeah, I already feel it. Truth be told my 105 micro was almost always on my Nikon. I am pretty happy with my Leica p&s for covering 28-100 equivalent range and I can go raw and full manual with it so other than small sensor issues it covers a lot of situations. But it isn't stellar macro, and there is no substitute for sensor size under low light.

Hmm, seems like I'm talking myself into a 100mm macro and 10-17 zoom. And a 50/1.4. Or maybe the 43/1.9. Or...

Whatever I do I have to decide what I want to take to Hong Kong. I fly out Friday...love to shoot in China.
02-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I only have a pancake lens at the moment. DA 40 f2.8 , it's nice and makes the camera compact enough to store with a lens on it for a quick grab. I get crisp clear images with it. This parrot is a high res. crop taken with the lens, no flash. http://www.ohsnapped.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/parrot3.jpg

and a close up of a flower http://www.ohsnapped.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/yellowflowers.jpg

I used exaggerated sharp in SilkyPix and it made a faint outline over the top of the flower which isn't there without the exaggerated sharp edit. But you can still get a feel for the lens' power. I hope this helps.

Last edited by OhSnapped; 02-18-2008 at 05:36 PM.
02-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
LBA? I know not...

No, but it will often crop up here with favourable (perhaps more like terms of endearment) comments from those that do have the 50mm f1.4.
Enjoy Hong Kong, great place to shop for lenses.