Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #1

Hello Pentax Forums

Hi,my name is Max. Just joined in the last hour. I bought a used K110D on Boxing Day.
I've already looked on the forum about updating the software and will be doing so in the next day or so:. I can't wait to start using the camera. Any helpful hints as it's my first digital slr? Thanks in advance.........

01-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #2

hello max
01-02-2013, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Max, welcome to Pentax Forums! If you don't have a basic knowledge of how to work with a DSLR there is tons of information on the internet. One example is this site: Cambridge in Colour - Photography Tutorials & Learning Community but there are many, many more places you can get this sort of information. Then start shooting a lot and expect to make a lot of mistakes. Research you mistakes and learn! And if you can't find out what went wrong in you manual or other sources; you can alway's ask your question in the beginners section over here. Another possibility is to post a photo in the critique section and learn from the feedback you are getting. Good luck and have fun with your new camera!
01-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Fries...will do.

01-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #5

What size of a lens do you have? Do you have more than 1? When I get bored with photography, I give myself a project to do...since it's Winter, take some shots that typify winter around your area.

After the "project" is done, maybe post them to a gallery, and inspire others!
01-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Reliant K1000, The lens is a smc Pentax DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL. It came with the K110D which I bought pre-owned for 110. I got a 12 month warranty with it which I thought was a good deal. I'm just trying to upload new software so I can use it with a bigger memory card.
01-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New To DSLR?

Hello Max, Welcome to the Forum!
You have a good starter kit, hope you enjoy it!
One recommendation I'd make is to buy a spare battery and SD card. For a small price you will double your shooting time and never (or rarely) be caught out with a dead battery or full card.
An inexpensive small bag (the less it looks like a camera bag, the better!) will be handy, as you tuck the camera-with lens mounted- into the bag and have compartments for additional gear.
A common sense tip, that should be obvious but bears repeating; NEVER leave your bag/camera anywhere, even for a minute. Not in a car, lunch counter, floor, table, anywhere. It is glued to your shoulder, from the time you leave, 'til you return home. Depending upon the kindness and honesty of strangers is a sure way to end up buying a replacement.
Record the serial numbers of the lens and camera.
Look into a lens hood (if it's not supplied already) and use it faithfully. Your photos will be better for it. Also a circular polarizing filter (CPL) in the correct size, I believe it's 52mm for the kit lens.
A "Rocket" blower and lens cloth are handy additions. Dust on the sensor and optics are very real problems.
Try downloading a free online PP (post-processing) program onto your PC. Think of it as a digital darkroom. Picassa is a good one, there are others.
Enjoy your new camera!
Ron
01-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks rbefly. Good sound advice there. I have a huge box of filters and thread adjusters in my loft. Some of them are bound to fit. I also have a fisheye lens and a prismatic lens that takes a photo of a subject as how a fly would see it. I haven't tried them as yet but will do. Once I take some some decent photos I will upload them.

01-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
Got a bag, a proper cobra SLR bag brand new from a charity shop. The camera takes AA batteries so I bought myself 2 sets of rechargable ones and a charger, all cheap online. Also a couple of sd cards and a pre-owned lens hood from a good old-fashioned camera retailer in the West End. And I dug out a polarizer and a set of filters from the box I had in the loft. And I managed to find some thread adjusters for the fish-eye lens and the prismatic lens in the same box...I'm ready to go....

Last edited by Max Kane; 01-10-2013 at 09:29 AM.
01-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, there's a "shed load" (technical term) of good information here, just search for what you want to know.
01-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Welcome to the PF and "bonjour" from France ... still use my K110D from time to time ... a good DSLR - J
01-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks guys....