Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 08:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An appeal to members

I am seeing a LOT of especially new members who do not include any geographic information in his or her profile. PLEASE update your profile and tell us where your home base is located. I'm not talking about your mailing address or even your town, but what country and region are you located in?

I'm sure I am not the only member who is fascinated by the international flavor of Pentax Forums, but it also has a practical value to you. Knowing where you are from:
  • gives us an idea of the time zone differences and how it impacts the speed of replies.
  • gives us an idea of seasonal light qualities in your part of the world. For example, suggesting to an Australian that he or she should photograph the Northern Lights would usually be a bit awkward.
  • we might understand more quickly that English is a second language and use fewer idiomatic phrases in our replies.
  • we'll try to avoid suggesting vendors that we know only ship within our own country.

Speaking for myself, I look forward to better understanding the joys and challenges faced by my fellow photographers from around the world.

Last edited by Tom S.; 01-05-2013 at 09:29 AM.
01-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #2

Think this is a good idea as it would make the forum more interesting for everyone.One wouldn't need to give exact town just the general area of the world they are in.I am on a lot of forums and always give a general area of where I live and sometimes the exact town when on a forum where people would know the location.
01-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, I just noticed that I have my "country" label filled in, but it doesnt get displayed - what gets displayed is the "location" which I left blank. I guess a lot of people have done that?
01-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Agreed! I also love the international aspect of this forum.

01-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, profile country info is required, so if you click on any member's profile you should see his or her country

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

+1 with OP.
01-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, profile country info is required, so if you click on any member's profile you should see his or her country
Would be hard to work out the field and ad it to the postbit?
01-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

+1 Jim, I am continually amazed at the international nature of this forum and the love of photography and a brand, Pentax, that brings us all together. And I am learning geography as well!

It also seems to me that we are continuing to see a rise in new members. Only Adam really knows I suppose, but I take that as the surest sign that Pentax is improving sales.

01-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Would be hard to work out the field and ad it to the postbit?
I think the admins probably have a reason why they did it like that, and its not just laziness. Its probably got to do with privacy or the label "country" being misleading, since it doesnt necessarily represent where a person lives now or where they are traveling or what languages they speak..
01-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the admins probably have a reason why they did it like that, and its not just laziness. Its probably got to do with privacy or the label "country" being misleading, since it doesnt necessarily represent where a person lives now or where they are traveling or what languages they speak..
Fair nuff.
Although my intention wasn't to say "laziness"; just an option if the demand is there....

Although I've now added "Australia" to my location, seeing as most people out side Aus probably dont know where Canberra is ("Isn't Sydney/Melbourne the Capital of Australia?")
01-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Fair nuff.
Although my intention wasn't to say "laziness"; just an option if the demand is there....

Although I've now added "Australia" to my location, seeing as most people out side Aus probably dont know where Canberra is ("Isn't Sydney/Melbourne the Capital of Australia?")
I've been there twice, a very beautiful small town

Talking about this, a lot guys still think Singapore is part of China