Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for all the helpful posts you already posted.

As Adam already commented, you confused the "P" mode with the "Auto" mode. I have never used the Auto or any of the scene modes. I've used "P" in the beginning but now I am always in "Av" mode (to control DOF) unless I'm using flash when I'm in "M" mode.

The special thing about "P" mode is that new (FA and newer) lenses have a chip with data on it that tells the camera at which aperture the lens is sharpest. In "P" mode the camera will optimise the aperture and shutter speed in order to give a blur free image with the best sharpness possible. If you just want the image without concern for DOF control then one cannot beat "P" mode.

QuoteOriginally posted by tswill2 Quote
On another subject, what would you suggest as a K mount compatible tele converter for decent image quality at a reasonable price?
I believe the common wisdom is that you need a magnification less than two for decent image quality. The bees knees is the Pentax AF 1.7 converter that turns even manual focus lenses into AF lenses, provided that you manually focus the lens roughly. The converter will then do the fine focussing. It is also said to have decent IQ. TC with 1.4 magnifications are often much better than their 2 x cousins.

Only the very best (typically prime) lenses will still deliver decent images once magnified by a 2 x converter. Also note that zooms with a non-fixed rear element typically don't work well with a TC.

For all those new K100D forum members: You've got an awesome camera and here are some “Tips and Tricks” for the K100D.