Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #1

Another new member!

Hi all - I read about this site on the dpreview Pentax Talk, which I read about on the dpreview Panasonic Talk forum... Not sure where I heard about that. Anyhow, I started into digital with a Sony (ugh) 3.5" 'floppy' camera and moved from there to an Olympus D500L, then a E100RS, then into a Panasonic FZ10. That lead me to the FZ20 & 30 and then to the TZ1 and a FZ1. The new FZ50 specs didn't thrill me so when I read of the K10D I started reading the dpr Pentax posts and decided that the Ist DL would be a good place to start. More reading on the Pentax Talk forum led me to this forum and I liked what I saw so joined. I hope it's a long association.

09-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome!

I'm new to the Pentax world myself, having received about 2 hours ago my K100D. I have much to learn.
09-20-2006, 12:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Welcome!

I'm new to the Pentax world myself, having received about 2 hours ago my K100D. I have much to learn.
Thanks, and welcome your self. I used Pentax film cameras and Panasonic digitals for years, but the ist DL is my first DSLR. It should be great after I get up on the learning curve... I need to get the mode dial under my belt! It seems to be the key to getting the exposure right. If the K100D will be your primary camera, the SR will be a God Send.
09-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Tom
I got a DL which I am very happy with. In the beginning I played with the mode dials but now it is either the P or the manual that I use. I also shoot all my photos in raw instead of JPEG. It gives me much better control over the end result and it is easier with the white balance. I am sure you will be happy with the DL.

Cheers

Eddie

09-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tswill2 Quote
If the K100D will be your primary camera, the SR will be a God Send.
Well, I hit 50 a few months ago, and have discovered that 50 hits harder than I do. So the SR was an important feature to me.
09-20-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Well, I hit 50 a few months ago, and have discovered that 50 hits harder than I do. So the SR was an important feature to me.
Hi MPrince. I know what you mean as I am pushing 50 myself. I have used Pentax for 30 years but when I got in to digital what made me stick with Pentax was the large viewfinder and big LCD as my eyesight is not what it used to be.

Cheers

Eddie
09-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome Tom. I'm old to the Pentax world (got a K1000 in the 70's), but new to digital & the whole forum thing. I think it's going to be very educational and fun

09-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Welcome Tom
I also Am a Pentax Shooter from about 30 Years Ago. First camera was K1000, then moved up to the Pentax ME.
I have had my DS now for over a and love it. However I am Finding that Since I Hit 52 this month. SR is looking More appealing.
Hoping this Spring To get the K10D

BK/Phil
09-21-2006, 06:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard to all the newcomers. You will enjoy the site and the people. I find it interesting to see people from all over the world here. Look forward to seeing your work in the gallery.
09-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Ed in GA

Well, I'm new to this forum as well. I too was informed of this forum on the DPreview forum. Like that forum but sure a lot of peope posting on there and questions/inquiries/comments disappear from the fron page quite quickly.

I have lots of questions concerning Digital Photography and, hopefully, there will be some seasoned veteran potographers populating this site and I can get a few answers.

I've just purchased a K100D and, so far, find it to be a very acceptable camera. the 18-55 kit lens came with it and I added a 70-30 zoom/macro lens yesterday. I've already found a couple of "Macro" photographs to take. And have photographed all of the usual suspects in my area such as the fountain in the main park, the lighthouse, the local Cathedral, a civil/revolutionary war cemetery and, much to her chagrin, a number of photos of my wife. I can already tell that composition is one of the things I will spend a lot of time working on.

As soon as I figure out the "Gallery" here, I'll upload a couple of shots.
09-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey Eddy from Savannah,

I took my K100D to Savannah about a month ago. I took lots of shots, but they didn't turn out that well (just a bunch of snapshots). I used my Tamron 28-300 zoom as a walkaround lens. It's convenient, but not that sharp, plus I hadn't figured out the sweet spots for that lens.

Anyway, I grew up in Atlanta and hadn't been to Savannah in about 25 years. I wanted to take my wife there. We had a blast and will be back in the future.

I hope you post some nice shots of the beautiful homes in Savannah.

Russ
09-22-2006, 07:38 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mingdie Quote
Welcome Tom
I got a DL which I am very happy with. In the beginning I played with the mode dials but now it is either the P or the manual that I use. I also shoot all my photos in raw instead of JPEG. It gives me much better control over the end result and it is easier with the white balance. I am sure you will be happy with the DL.

Cheers

Eddie
Hi Eddie - I've been researching the mode dial actions on DPR forum and it sounds like P mode plays russian roulette picking which one of the P&S modes to use, and that the P&S modes are pretty wimpy in their actions. If you are shooting RAW, you should be using M, or the other pro modes on the other half of the dial. Just use the P&S settings if someone else is taking your picture....
09-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tswill2 Quote
Hi Eddie - I've been researching the mode dial actions on DPR forum and it sounds like P mode plays russian roulette picking which one of the P&S modes to use, and that the P&S modes are pretty wimpy in their actions. If you are shooting RAW, you should be using M, or the other pro modes on the other half of the dial. Just use the P&S settings if someone else is taking your picture....
We should start a new thread about this, but:

The "autopict" mode is what plays russian roulette; it chooses from 7 different shooting modes (landscape, night scene, etc.) automatically. However, P mode is not bad at all. Unless you're shooting in macro or going for some special effect, IMO P mode is the way to go. It lets you fine-tune the aperture and use exposure compensation, while autopict does not.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote

The "autopict" mode is what plays russian roulette; it chooses from 7 different shooting modes (landscape, night scene, etc.) automatically. However, P mode is not bad at all. Unless you're shooting in macro or going for some special effect, IMO P mode is the way to go. It lets you fine-tune the aperture and use exposure compensation, while autopict does not.
That is exactly what I have found. The P mode works well for everyday photos but I am using M mode for special shoots.

Cheers

Eddie
09-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote

Thanks Mo - the modes are somewhat confusing, I wish Pentax or an informed forum member would cteate a chart of what does what. The manual lacks one.

On another subject, what would you suggest as a K mount compatible tele converter for decent image quality at a reasonable price?