Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 11:56 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikon to Pentax Story!! How I became a Pentaxian!!

I am an Engineer living & working in Holland. I consider myself as serious hobbyist Photographer. I bought my first DSLR, the Nikon D3000 with kit lens in mid 2010. At that time, I was completely new to DSLR photography and I was happy with the “Green” button. Even with green mode, my pictures were way better than my canon power shot, but lacked that “professional” look. I started reading lot of articles in the internet about photography, like how to take better pictures…etc. I slowly graduated to Program mode then to Av, Tv and reached M and still continue reading and experimenting.

A year passed with my D3000, I started thinking that the camera was limiting w.r.t its poor high ISO capabilities and the slow kit lens. Then, the search for upgrade started. At that time, I firmly believed that costly, high end cameras make better picture. So, I short listed Nikon D700 with 50 1.4 G, and started reading lots of reviews about it. I also checked 5d mark II. Enjoyed the arguments of canon & Nikon fan boys in the forums. From my own research, I come to a conclusion that, Nikon makes good cameras and canon good lenses. By the time, I was also addicted to canonrumors.com, bythom.com and mansurovs.com etc,.

In the mean time, I sold my D3000 and bought myself a Nikon Coolpix, S9100 as a stopgap camera. Once, I almost booked D700 with 50 1.4G. Thanks to my wife, she prevented that to happen. With my limited photographic skills, she firmly believed that was an over kill. Latter, Nikon launched D800 and I didn’t like it much, even though, I know it is a very good camera with good dynamic range. I am really scared of that 36 MP. I was hoping for, something like 16 MP D4 sensor. Then came the 5D mark III and I immediately fall in love with it. Now, my configuration changed for D700+50 f1.4 to 5D-III+50 f1.2 or I can compromise to 50 f1.4?. I decided to save for 5D-III+50 f1.2 combo and continue shooting with my Nikon coolpix.

As I was shooting with my coolpix S9100,(24 to 434 mm FF equivalent), I noticed that my pictures were getting better and my facebook like counts were increased from 2or3 to 20-25. I was always carrying my camera with me. I concentrated on composition. I started post processing my images in LR, even with jpegs, I saw improvements. Slowly, I started realizing that in image making process, a camera is just another tool. If you compose well, nail correct exposure and with good PP skills, you’ll end up with good images., ah.. now I am enlightened.

Now I realized, form factor is an important thing. I cannot compromise an optical view finder. I wanted a semi-professional, compact DSLR for a reasonable price, with great value. I found pentaxforums.com read almost every thread, I know all you guys who regularly posts. I fall in love with the metallic limited lens of Pentax. Wow, I am thrilled. I bought K-5II (Euro 849, at that time 5dIII was 2999) with 35mm F2.8 macro limited last month. I am very happy with the image quality. Even though, the lens is bit nervous in focusing, it produces stunning images with good color and contrast. I love this prime and like to playing around its limitations (nervous focusing+ slow, I mean f2.8). I bought FEISOL CT-3441SB +CB-40D balhoofd so, my low light, slow shutter speed problems solved. I have a Domke strap and Mestos Plate for my K-5II (thank you forum guys). I always carry my camera with me in my “rugzak”. I bought cheap camera bag inserts from ebay, so I can use any bag as my camera bag. In future, I am planning to add a flash (Metz or the new 360-II, hope they fixed the battery door problem!!), DA 15 & 70 and may be sigma 30 f1.4 or that..FA31. May be after 5 years, I’ll upgrade to a body something like K-01 (hope, they should not dump APS-C for a FF, I am really scared of that big Nikon 24-70 f2.8).

Sorry guys for my long, boring introduction story (this is my first ever post in a photography forum so, please tolerate me). I once again thank you all for helping me through your posts and comments to become a pentaxian!!

Last edited by Dynamo; 03-05-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: changed the title
01-09-2013, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome
01-09-2013, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome first post and not boring at all
Looking forward to seeing some of your images !
cheers
Pete
01-09-2013, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great post. Sounds like you've done enough research and hands-on of other brands that your choice of Pentax comes with peace of mind. Maybe post some pics, huh.

01-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you guys..sure i'll post few pictures.
Next weekend I am heading for Amsterdam Light Festival..hope i'll get few pics worth posting!!

Last edited by Dynamo; 02-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.
03-04-2013, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Haha, saw you posting at Nick`s welcomthread and thought "hee, I don`t know that guy?"
Checking your profile led me here to this great introduction. Maybe a little late but welcome anyways!

De groeten uit ZHZ
03-04-2013, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Great intro and enjoy all of that great new gear ... J

03-04-2013, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Great intro, and welcome.
03-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank u friends!! I saw your galleries..great pictures!!
So, me…imm …lot of home work to do[/SIZE]

Last edited by Dynamo; 03-17-2013 at 12:07 PM.
03-05-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh..did i say home work.....sorry i meant outdoors
03-05-2013, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, perhaps we know you now a little better, as you already seem to know all of us.