Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Manual glass.. for now

Hi, I am a new K5 owner with a few primes. I love the outdoors as well as photography and hope to enjoy this camera on many northern trips. I have enjoyed researching the forum and found a 30mm K lens at my local shop to add to my collection. The shop owner had only seen a couple of the lenses in his career of 30 yrs. I am impressed with the results when my focus is on, although my HD sure is filling quickly as I try to shoot in RAW. I have a brother in law who does weddings, but has a huge FF camera and never takes it out at family gatherings. I love having a system that I can actually take with me and use. I have a Canon S95 which has been fun for packing small, but there is no comparison to a DSLR. I hope to get some limiteds when I earn some more cheese and a macro. Smaller the better. Cheers from sunny Saskatoon.

01-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I almost bought that lens -- from Chen, right? ;-)

Anyways, welcome.
01-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, I wasn't 'needing' it but seeing one on eBay for $600(way overpriced) I figured I may never find one again. He gave me a used clear filter that was scratched and I felt sick thinking it was the lens itself. But it works well. Nice focal length and Cheng said that few ppl bought them as the 28mm was much more common and most people don't buy Focal lengths so close together..
01-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

It's a very well regarded lens in these parts => SMC Pentax 30mm F2.8 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

01-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you want to go light and dig the 30mm focal length, then have a look at a samsung NX with the 30/2 pancake... It's APS-C, sharp as hell, and it can be found cheap as 2nd hand!
I have the NX200, and it's small enough to go into my coat pocket or my wife's purse...
01-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
If you want to go light and dig the 30mm focal length, then have a look at a samsung NX with the 30/2 pancake... It's APS-C, sharp as hell, and it can be found cheap as 2nd hand!
I have the NX200, and it's small enough to go into my coat pocket or my wife's purse...
Looks like a great rig with similar pancake style glass. Does it have weather sealing? Sadly, it is not Pentax compatible it seems. Also Samsung is only available in TV's and computers where I'm from.