Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 04:31 AM   #1

Hello from Tasmania, Australia

Hello All,

Stumbled on the site today while searching for information on some elderly Pentax manual lenses that I had the good fortune to purchase. Even though they date from the late 50's and early 60's I am blown away by their quality. One of these is an 83mm, f1.9 from (I think) 1958, 42mm screw mount. From what I've managed to discover, I think its a rare bird! I have been testing these lenses on a Canon 300D dslr with adaptors and I've been thrilled with the results. I also have an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic and a Pentax P30 film SLR but haven't used them. They are gathering dust along with several Zenits from the USSR and several Canon film DSLR's that I can't bring myself to part with.

I haven't shot film for years now. Have been through several point and shoot and 'Prosumer' cameras and only recently purchased my ancient Canon 300D. This was prompted by the discovery that I could get adaptors that would enable me to get my old manual lenses out of moth balls! Just love digital and the way that it has made photography accessible to everyone. But these old manual lenses have me hooked. As much as I can see the benefits of auto focus, image stabilization and Ultrasonic focus motors, I much prefer the challenge of using the old stuff. I'm so grateful that there are adaptors available that enable us to marry these new fangled DSLR's with yesterday's technology.

Of the many thousands of images that I've shot over the years, my favorite is one taken at sea, using my trusty little Pentax Optio WP point-and-shhot! I've had the camera for years and it takes beautiful photos. My Partner has an Optio A20 and that too is quite outstanding. I'd love a Pentax DSLR but I don't see one in my future anytime soon.

Hope I can come up with something worthy of sharing, when I get the gist of these wonderful lenses.

Cheers,

Andy

Attached Images

01-13-2013, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! I'll look forward to seeing some shots from what sound like an interesting collection of lenses :-)
01-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF !
01-13-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, hope your not caught up in all this bad weather we're seeing from your part of the world.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 01-13-2013 at 10:19 AM.
01-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forum. There are an active group of Aussies around.....
01-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome. Hope you're not affected by the fires which are burning up our country.
Nice pic of the water. Dreamy.

Regards