Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

Hi, I'm Monica!

Hi there, I'm new to the forums. I read a few reviews and posts here before I bought my baby, my pride and joy, the Pentax K-30. I love it!! I am finally learning to shoot in manual. I am also curious about the best affordable lens for portraiture.
Nice to meet you!

A recent pic by/of me..

Attached Images

01-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Monika, good to have you on board with us. Have you considered getting a good Macro lens that will double as an excellent portraiture lens and that way you'll get double the use out of it. I use the Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG Macro which is really sharp.
01-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome to the Forums Monica.
As a general rule I don't shoot portraits. The exception is family. So I can not help with a recommendation on a lens for portraits. I'll leave that up to portrait shooters
01-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome to the community.

The K-30 is a good camera. You mention getting familiar with manual shooting? If this is the case, as an affordable portrait lens I recommend the Pentax-M 50mm f1.7. It is a fully manual lens - manual focusing and manual aperture selection, but it will work on the K-30, you just need the right mode. It is so affordable that should you decide to upgrade you won't feel the money has been wasted. The forum is also a very helpful place for any questions you need answered.

Here is the link to the lens' information:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There are always some available on the Buy/Sell Marketplace on this forum, and plenty around in general... I inherited one I do not use very often that came with a film camera I purchased a while back.

01-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Welcome to the forum Monika, good to have you on board with us. Have you considered getting a good Macro lens that will double as an excellent portraiture lens and that way you'll get double the use out of it. I use the Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG Macro which is really sharp.
Hi, I love the idea of getting a good macro lens; I take a lot of nature shots that are macro, so that'd be perfect. Do you need a special adapter to use an off brand lens? (This is my first DSLR, and all I've use so far is a kit lens and Pentax telefoto)
Thanks for the welcome!
01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
Hi and welcome to the community.

The K-30 is a good camera. You mention getting familiar with manual shooting? If this is the case, as an affordable portrait lens I recommend the Pentax-M 50mm f1.7. It is a fully manual lens - manual focusing and manual aperture selection, but it will work on the K-30, you just need the right mode. It is so affordable that should you decide to upgrade you won't feel the money has been wasted. The forum is also a very helpful place for any questions you need answered.

Here is the link to the lens' information:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

There are always some available on the Buy/Sell Marketplace on this forum, and plenty around in general... I inherited one I do not use very often that came with a film camera I purchased a while back.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will research that lens. However I am not sure if I am ready to go fully manual yet or not.
01-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by natureshot12 Quote
Hi, I love the idea of getting a good macro lens; I take a lot of nature shots that are macro, so that'd be perfect. Do you need a special adapter to use an off brand lens? (This is my first DSLR, and all I've use so far is a kit lens and Pentax telefoto)
Thanks for the welcome!
Sigma have Pentax mounts you just need to ask for the Pentax mount when buying Sigma.