Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Howdie from Canada. How about night snow photo's?

I'm in a work camp by a small town with snow. With two goals in mind.

One is to participate in an art show I've been invited to, it's theme is the circle and giving back to the community. I could think as far as incorperating a native medicine wheel, or a dream catcher (I'm on native treaty land) and ran out of ideas after that.

The other is night photography in a few areas. That trick where the stars streak from long exposures with an overlay of the northern lights. My camera asked for BLUB (?) when I changed to a long setting and wouldn't know where to start, or a whole bunch of pics layered. Cold weather drains batteries, so I don't know how others do it or if I'm on the right course here.

I crossed paths with a wolverine and a moose in the dusk or dark and wasn't prepared for a decent shot. It's a good idea to upset neither with a flash, but I'd like to have the right settings. I have 50mm prime with f/ 1.4.

Backlighting a nearby river and waterfall nearby at night would be a project, but again the technique I'm lacking.

Advice would be appreciated, meanwhile I'll try searching the forms.

Ian

01-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey there where in Canada are you from Ian?

I'm in Vancouver but am from the Kootenays of BC so I do know what snow is and seeing more wildlife than in the big city. I'm new to photography but the good thing is that you have light around you all the time with the white snow. With some practice you'll get the lighting with your 50 1.4 which should be pretty good. Depending on your timeframe you have to the art show if you have a zoom you can get some of those animal shots, something light like a Da or DA L 50-200mm if you have a digital camera.

It would be great to see what you decide to show at the show.

Richard
01-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Hey there where in Canada are you from Ian?

I'm in Vancouver but am from the Kootenays of BC so I do know what snow is and seeing more wildlife than in the big city. I'm new to photography but the good thing is that you have light around you all the time with the white snow. With some practice you'll get the lighting with your 50 1.4 which should be pretty good. Depending on your timeframe you have to the art show if you have a zoom you can get some of those animal shots, something light like a Da or DA L 50-200mm if you have a digital camera.

It would be great to see what you decide to show at the show.

Richard
Thanks for responding,

I'm in Kitimat. I will try experimenting, but will have to look up starting parameters.

Once I have something to begin with I'll let you know.

Ian