Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, waiting for K-01 to arrive!

Hi everyone!! I'm coming from the P&S world. Trying to make sense of all the lens choices. So much great info here!

01-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
Hi everyone!! I'm coming from the P&S world. Trying to make sense of all the lens choices. So much great info here!
Welcome aboard! With the K-01 you'll ideally want to stick to smaller prime lenses, such as the ones in this lens guide:
Pentax K-01 Lens Guide - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

This will generally give you faster AF than with zooms or super zooms, and of course your setup will be more compact. The 40mm XS lens is definitely a great starting point- did you order your K-01 with that lens?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. I did get the kit- waiting for amazon to send it. But I was thinking it would be better to sell the 40 and get a 18-55 sort of all purpose lens. I am a hobbyist and just want to be ready for anything cool to take pics of when I'm out and about. Sounds like it might be better to get a 17 or 18 and maybe a 50 or 70? I really don't want to camera a camera bag everywhere! :-)

I used to be into photography about 30 years ago (I think my last camera was a Oly OM-10??), lost interest, got into P&S in the past 10 years, and do know about some things, but not nearly as well as the folks here.
01-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
Thanks for the link. I did get the kit- waiting for amazon to send it. But I was thinking it would be better to sell the 40 and get a 18-55 sort of all purpose lens. I am a hobbyist and just want to be ready for anything cool to take pics of when I'm out and about. Sounds like it might be better to get a 17 or 18 and maybe a 50 or 70? I really don't want to camera a camera bag everywhere! :-)

I used to be into photography about 30 years ago (I think my last camera was a Oly OM-10??), lost interest, got into P&S in the past 10 years, and do know about some things, but not nearly as well as the folks here.
The 17-50mm F2.8 from Tamron (also mentioned in the guide) is a good premium alternative to the 18-55mm, though I'd recommend first trying the K-01 with the 40mm and see how you like it. When you only have a prime, you tend to get better composition because it forces you to look for "the picture" rather than documenting everything around you. And the increased sharpness and lower distortion (generally) definitely doesn't hurt!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I would prefer 2-3 lenses, but budget it also an issue. I can't buy everything all at once. I am checking out the Tamron, as you suggest. :-)
01-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #6

I'd recommend starting and taking lots of photos with the lens you have and then expanding to more options as you find which direction you want to head. Most of my friends who are heavy into photography have a ton of lenses, but admit to really only using a few 99% of the time.
01-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Crust (goes well with PB and J :-) )
I've more or less decided to stick with the kit 18-55 lens ( and possibly sell the 40XS) if I can get one at a good price. My eye isn't so good that I could tell the difference between that and a $1000 lens. LOL

Adam- I can't browse the Wanted category. Is something wrong with my account? Thx