Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #1

Hi

Friendly hello from a German newbee who migrated from mFT to a K-01/40mmXS recently. After following pentaxforums for some days, finally I registered.

I'd like to post an initial question here, hope it doesn't cause too much laughter:

Is there a danger of short-circuiting the lens information contacts on the camera body when using an old lens, that has no counterparts to the contacts, but just a metal plate? Should I isolate that part of the lens somehow?

01-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #2

Original Poster
respectivly: are the contact in the camera body microswitches, with means there is no danger?
01-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No danger, and this question is not silly..

Welcome in the forum. I could have answered in German, too, but the the majority of members couldn't understand (Google translate is sometimes just awful). By the way, the majority of forum members are located in the US and Canada, and may be sleeping now. Expect quick answers at that time of the day only from Europe, Australia, and Asia (but we are a minority).

The shortcutting of contacts itself is one of the means the body uses to decide what kind of lens is attached. If you use older lenses which offer an anodized mount which would prevent shortcutting, in some cases you'll get the full range of possibilities only if you scratch off the anodizing in specified locations.

There are multiple threads in this forum about the function of each and every contact, and suggestions how to handle lenses without contacts.
01-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I should add some information.

If all contacts are isolated, you can use only M mode with the green button. Handling may be somehow different with the K-01 compared with DSLRs, have a look at the manual.

If all contacts are short-cutted, additionally Av mode will be possible.
I think even the K-01 has (somewhere hidden in the menus) a setting like "enable usage of aperture ring", this should be enabled. As default, for unknown reasons Pentax sets it to disabled. There are no known disadvantages to leave the setting always in enabled position.

EDIT: In Av mode (less frequently in Manual mode) over- or under-exposing with older lenses may happen. The reasons for that have been often discussed in this forum. Possible wrong exposures will vary from lens to lens, and aperture value to aperture value, but are consistant for each of these. You must try out with YOUR lenses, and MAY sometimes need to use exposure compensation. I am lucky - not corrections needed with any of my old lenses.

Last edited by RKKS08; 01-15-2013 at 01:57 AM.