Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #1

Hails from Vashon Island

Hi folks.
Thank you for this great forum. It's obviously a busy one and bursting with great info and stories.
I have a long relationship with Pentax gear. My father, who passed away a couple years ago, was a Pentax dedicated professional photographer and AV producer. (Remember when AV meant multi-carousel, split-screen presentations with synchronized sound and narration?) Well, he taught me the art of photography when I was a teen. I started with a Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex and couldn't wait 'til he thought I was ready for a Pentax. Finally, received a Spotmatic in 1967.
My career took a different path, but now that I am retired I'm starting make more photographs. I still have a Spotmatic, several screw mount Takumars and others. I bought a Nikon 5100 in 2011 and its been a lot of fun. I like both Nikon and Pentax equipment. Its just too bad that they are so incompatible with each other.
Anyway, here is my first question:
Right now I'm staring at a 1977 Tokina-made 100-300mm Close-Focusing f/5.0 zoom lens.
It's branded as a "Bushnell" but it appears to be identical to the one marketed by Vivitar. It belonged to my Dad and so has the M42 thread mount. It is permanently affixed with 4 set screws. According to Camera-wiki.org, Tokina made this lens for Vivitar as part of their family of 2nd generation TX II interchangeable mount lenses. If that is true, couldn't I remove the M42 mount and just replace it with a TX II P-K mount or even a Nikon AI mount?
This might be stretch here but please let me know if you have any advice.
Forever yours
Art
PS See photo attached

Attached Images

01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for the interesting introduction.
01-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may want to post this in the lens forum section. Guys there have been making recombinant lenses for a while.
01-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter

AFAIK there were Vivitar T4, then TX lenses. I haven't heard of a 2nd generation TX II series. The TX lens I have has a "O <----> L" lock and linkage mechanism that always stays with the lens and takes up a good bit of depth of the lens base. The different attachment mounts align and lock into that portion. I seriously doubt you could sacrifice another TX lens (to scavenge the lock and linkage portion) and even be able to squeeze it into your FrankenVivitar.

I'd suggest buying a genuine Pentax M42 to P/K adapter to attach to your lens' present configuration. It will then fit nicely on your Pentax rig.

Hope this is helpful.

01-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
TX Mounts

thanks for your response. I agree. I'll buy of P/K adapter. I'm curious as to how well this lens performs. Thanks again.
Art