Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Nikon ---> Pentax... Just saying hello

Hi pentaxians, I've actually been on the boards since 2009 but only posted briefly back then due to a purchase of a spotmatic. I love this forum and am glad I have an even better reason to post again... I'm switching to pentax digital.

My reasons for swapping are probably a bit atypical; I am doing it for long exposure performance. I loved my Nikon D90's long exposure performance without the need for dark frames (long exposure noise reduction). Nikon's latest cameras, including the d7000, show horrible hot pixels at even mild exposures of a few minutes at base ISO. The new 24mp APS-C sensor shows hot pixels below 1 minute. I was particularly disappointed that the d7000 and d800 had long exposure performance issues; these are great cameras otherwise.

I've seen samples of K5 long exposures and my jaw hit the floor... I've seen hot pixels on the K5 develop after a 1 hour exposure that the latest Nikons show in 45seconds. This is a paradox to me considering the K5 and the D7000 have a similar (identical?) sensor. I'm assuming the K5 II and IIS have similar long exposure performance to the classic K5?

I basically wanted a Nikon D300S with better high ISO, a built in level, and better resolution. The K5 IIS is perfect for me. I'm going to pull the trigger on a K5 IIS as soon as I select some lenses to purchase.

Thanks! Once I grab the camera I will start posting much more

01-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heh, welcome, glad you found a product that meets your needs. All the better that it's Pentax!

Before you buy kit, I would suggest looking on Adam's links, you can get free site supporter status if you buy via B&H or Adorama (small punt for the forums)!

B
01-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtags24 Quote
Hi pentaxians, I've actually been on the boards since 2009 but only posted briefly back then due to a purchase of a spotmatic. I love this forum and am glad I have an even better reason to post again... I'm switching to pentax digital.

My reasons for swapping are probably a bit atypical; I am doing it for long exposure performance. I loved my Nikon D90's long exposure performance without the need for dark frames (long exposure noise reduction). Nikon's latest cameras, including the d7000, show horrible hot pixels at even mild exposures of a few minutes at base ISO. The new 24mp APS-C sensor shows hot pixels below 1 minute. I was particularly disappointed that the d7000 and d800 had long exposure performance issues; these are great cameras otherwise.

I've seen samples of K5 long exposures and my jaw hit the floor... I've seen hot pixels on the K5 develop after a 1 hour exposure that the latest Nikons show in 45seconds. This is a paradox to me considering the K5 and the D7000 have a similar (identical?) sensor. I'm assuming the K5 II and IIS have similar long exposure performance to the classic K5?

I basically wanted a Nikon D300S with better high ISO, a built in level, and better resolution. The K5 IIS is perfect for me. I'm going to pull the trigger on a K5 IIS as soon as I select some lenses to purchase.

Thanks! Once I grab the camera I will start posting much more
Out of curiosity, what are you photographing that needs such long exposures?
I would love to see samples.
01-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirBismuth Quote
Heh, welcome, glad you found a product that meets your needs. All the better that it's Pentax!

Before you buy kit, I would suggest looking on Adam's links, you can get free site supporter status if you buy via B&H or Adorama (small punt for the forums)!

B
B- thanks for the recommendation! I will be sure to buy through those links.

01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
Out of curiosity, what are you photographing that needs such long exposures?
I would love to see samples.
Here is one quick sample from a few years ago. It was DC cherry blossoms late at night, exposure was for several minutes. JPEG straight out of camera with no PP. I like to take exposures at least this long because I just get a kick out of how differently a scene looks at night as opposed to the day. It's not award winning work, but it's my favorite way to relieve stress (I also shoot occasional events and those induce stress!)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D90  Photo 

Last edited by mtags24; 01-17-2013 at 06:01 PM.
01-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Evening M,

Welcome - but you have been here a while, so you know that. Wonderful image! I too do a lot of my shooting at night. Here in Arizona, its much cooler then - well when its not winter. I am thinking that you might be a bit disappointed in the K5. I have been using mine for a year now and even with bracketing, I have never been over 30 seconds for an exposure.Were you using a Neutral Density filter? ISO 100, f8, 1.5 ev adjustment and 5 minutes. Even the sidewalk light off in the distance did not bloom or burn through.

01-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Good Evening M,

Welcome - but you have been here a while, so you know that. Wonderful image! I too do a lot of my shooting at night. Here in Arizona, its much cooler then - well when its not winter. I am thinking that you might be a bit disappointed in the K5. I have been using mine for a year now and even with bracketing, I have never been over 30 seconds for an exposure.Were you using a Neutral Density filter? ISO 100, f8, 1.5 ev adjustment and 5 minutes. Even the sidewalk light off in the distance did not bloom or burn through.

Thanks for the kind words! No ND filter used, it was very very dark where I was shooting under the tree. The light was very even (coming off the clouds mostly) which was very helpful for the exposure.

Why do you say I may be disappointed in K5? Does it not do well over 30 seconds?
01-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtags24 Quote
Thanks for the kind words! No ND filter used, it was very very dark where I was shooting under the tree. The light was very even (coming off the clouds mostly) which was very helpful for the exposure.

Why do you say I may be disappointed in K5? Does it not do well over 30 seconds?
Afternoon,

My thinking was that you appeared to go for the extremely long shutter times - however, I have found that the K5's sensor is so good, that I have not been able to get it up over 30 seconds. The posted image was something like 5.5+ minutes, which I find incredibly long - even in an extremely dark environment. I was up in Sedona a while back, before I acquired the K5. Using my K20, pitch black before the moon came up, I was taking 1 to 2 minute exposures and getting some good shots.