Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hi I am a new member

I have been taking photos for 60 years and enjoy cameras however my skills are not as good as they were when I started.
My eyesight is a hindrance. I had a pentax film camera a few years back and am thinking of getting another high end point and shoot or a low end dslr.

01-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF ...
01-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The plus and minus of newer DSLRs - the viewfinders are smaller and lack the split-screen focus tool (unless you modify them). The plus side - the autofocus is much more reliable which should help remove a lot of the guesswork for your old eyes.
01-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Silverfox, welcome. Looking at your profile I see you already have a K-01, what are your early impressions? Looking forward to seeing some of your work. I too am high mileage, 1st camera was a brownie hawkeye. I really prefer a viewfinder camera for outside and bright sunlight shooting. Again welcome...Cliff

01-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome! If you already have a K-01, you pretty much have a good camera, much better than any P&S and only slightly bigger. Getting a DSLR will only help with fast focusing on moving subjects. I like to use liveview mode even on my DSLR to make sure I get the focus right, because a lot of viewfinders on new digital cameras are pretty small and dark