Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Antarctica!

Brand-new to the (D)SLR world - been muddling through with point-and-shoot units until now.

My most recent/current is a Pentax - an Optio W90 ('cause I'm rough on my toys and I end up in places that make it even rougher).

Just purchased a K-5 II with the 18-135 "kit" lens. It hasn't arrived here yet - due to crappy weather conditions, we've had limited cargo flights and mail just isn't a high priority when we're struggling to get food and other needed supplies. (I'm at McMurdo Station, Antarctica)

I've managed to get some pretty decent images from my point-and-shoots, but I've always wondered how much better they could be with a "good" camera and some decent post-processing (ie Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 - just itching to have some RAW/DNG shots to work with!)

- Scott

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by GeroniMoe; 01-19-2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Added signature line
01-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Scott, good to have you on board. Here's one to remind you of summer.

01-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #3

i have an "old" k20d and i walk around on it in heavy rain, one time acidentaly droped soda on it during a concert, cleaned right away, the soda it dried and the buttons got all sticky due the sugar... i just washed it lightly with water, done.

i dont have that weather sealed lens you're going to get but some old all metal lens, and i just open them up and clean them nicely
you'll feel great with the pentax!
hope you get your k5 soon
01-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I was gonna take a trip down there but all those barf bags on the boat persuaded me that penguins are best observed in the zoo. A friend of mine went down there though...I still think ice diving would be pretty epic.

Thats pretty cool.... we have a poster from the South Pole.

01-19-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome! You're in Antarctica? I'm jealous!
01-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and it must quite an experience to be where you are ... Let us know how your new (WR) gear stands up to the Arctic environment - J
01-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard

01-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some photographic evidence!

Here's a few shots from a recent trip out to Cape Royds. You may have heard about Cape Royds in the news recently: the NZ Prime Minister just returned a bottle of Scotch to Ernest Shackleton's hut, where it had been found after being buried for around 100 years!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio W90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio W90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio W90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio W90  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
EX-G1  Photo 
01-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, nice images and enjoy your summer.
01-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very cool, thanks for sharing!
01-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, it's not every day someone joins us from your part of the world.

Do the penguins have no fear of man or is a food opportunity for them or so they think?
01-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Penguins

The wildlife down here has basically no fear of humans, as we're not predators for them (and are prohibited from being so by treaty/law/etc).

Penguins (primarily Adelie and Emperor) are not at all scared - the Emperors are pretty aloof at best (and grumpy when molting). The Adelies are very curious/playful. Surprisingly (to me), the portrayals of Adelies and the elder Emperors in "Happy Feet" seem to be fairly representative!

Seals (mostly Weddell here) are pretty much unimpressed by humans - they have no natural predators above the ice (which is where we see them, mostly). When there are cameras/divers viewing them under the water, they sometimes show curiosity, sometimes they just ignore.

Skuas (a big dirty-looking seagull-type bird) are primarily scavengers, and enjoy harrassing unsuspecting people who happen to be carrying food back to their dorms or work-centers (hoping to make them drop it so they can have a free meal!). Definitely fearless! (and it helps that we are prohibited from interfering or "fighting back")
01-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Nice pictures, and sounds like a good place to have been trained as a pacifist.
01-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Very nice photos. Wonderful to have a forum member from the Antarctic. Look forward to future posts.
01-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum. I patiently await billions of penguin photos