Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #1

Choosing wide angle lense.

I have owned my k5 for around 1.5 years now and looking to upgrade my lense. I currently have a Sigma 18-200mm and have been looking at purchasing a wide angle lense as I enjoy landscape photography (armature). I am looking at the Pentax 21mm f 3.2 or the zoom 12-24mm f 4, and a little torn between choosing the zoom or 21mm. ( as both have great reviews)

Any advise on pro's & cons of each lense or expieriences would be good. Obviously there is a fair difference in price also, is the zoom worth the extra $$? Can the lenses also be flexably used for every day photo taking ( eg outings with family, & the dog! ) also images with shallow DOF?

From my lense upgrade I hope to achieve crisp images that capture true colors & capturing more in the image.. I live in a remote and beautiful part of Australia - Cape York, and would like to improve image quality capturing this wonderful part if the world..

Cheers

01-19-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, as you own a K-5 why not post your question in the K-5 forum where you're sure to get an answer.
01-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Morning and Welcome to the Forum!

I have the 12-24 and also a 25mm. Obviously there are both different lenses. The 12-24 is sharp and its color rendering is excellent. Most wide angle lenses, the wider you go the better the color rendering and contrast gets. The 12-24 is more versatile than the prime, and physically it is a larger lens. You can use any lens for landscapes, and as everyday lenses. It just depends on how you shoot, and the more use you make of the lens, the more you find out about it. Neither lens is going to be particularly great at shallow depth of field, given their wide open apertures of f4 and f3.2. For wide angle lenses, folks tend to use them for deep depth of fields.

With the K5 is a wonderful camera across the board. It is particularly excellent in morning and evening light where you get the great colors and deep shadows.

I started out with zooms, and then picked up primes for the focal lengths that I used the most.

Have you considered stitching with your current lens? You can download a free copy of Microsoft ICE and experiment, while you are making up your mind....
hope that helps....

01-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Felecia Quote
( as both have great reviews)
If you have already looked at the review section, there is not much to add. You can look at the lens samples threads.

The zoom is obviously larger but has a useful range of focal length. The prime is very small, and noticeable barrel distortion.

The 21 falls within the range you already have - though it will produce better IQ. The 12-24 extends the focal length range and offers new possibilities.

01-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you end up hiking to get to your "landscape vista" I'd suggest the 21mm. I used one for a while for that purpose and was always pleased with it. I found that it also made an excellent walk around lens as it gives you about a 30ish mm effective focal length.The distortions were easily correctable.

That being said, the 12-24 is a little more flexible and 12 is MUCH wider than 21. So I think it depends on how you plan to use it and the style of landscape shooting you do.
01-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
Choosing a wide angle lense.

Thank you all for your helpful advise.
I have sice also been looking at the zoom 16-45mm f 4 (as this would not be as wide as the 12-24mm)?..
Thanks interested_observer for the link.