Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #1

Hi from Australia

Hi everyone.
Been lurking on this forum off and on for about 3 years now. I have been using Pentax gear since 1980 when as a 1st year apprentice looking for a camera, my neighbour who was a working photographer recommended the K1000.

Over the years I acquired an ME Super and a number of lenses and dabbled in a variety of photographic disciplines (none too successfully when I go back and look at the images now). Until kids came along, most of my images were on slide film but the need to be able to share family snaps meant a move to negatives and shopping centre 6x4 prints.

Photography for the sake of it faded into the background until about 9 years ago when I jumped on the digital bandwagon with an Olympus C5060. Playing with this got me back into photography just for fun and in a couple of years, a Canon Powershot S3 was added to the camera bag, mostly for the 12x zoom.

Several years later and the local camera shop had K2000/KM in the window. I had never considered a DSLR before this as I couldn't justify the cost, but seeing the KM and realising I could use all of my old lenses set a few months of research in motion. I finally settled on trying to get a used K10 or K20 off eBay. I was eventually successful in getting a K10 with a very low shutter count.

I really like my K10. It feels solid in my hand and although the K5 is a much better camera, it feels small in my hands. Eventually I will probably upgrade but it probably won't be until the K10 dies as I don't think a better camera would make my images any better.

Since getting the K10, I have added a Sigma 18-125 (my standard lens) a Sigma 10-20, the Pentax 55-300 DAL and a Sigma EF530 flash.

My photography tends to be landscape based and I like experimenting with long exposures, HDR and black & white. Quite keen on panoramas as well. I have attached one of my recent favourite shots which was a single RAW file taken with a ND8 and a polariser then processed with Photomatix and CS5

Regards
John
Hobart, Tasmania

01-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! The k10 and k20 are still two of the best built digital bodies on earth! I still remember the day I upgraded from my *isd to the k10. It was momentous. And I still keep my k20 exclusively for my architecture/real estate work. Looking forward to seeing your images, especially your HDR work!
01-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, John. There are a bunch of active Aussies at PF. The more the merrier...
01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!
Tasmania is a great place for photography.

01-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

Hi THere

Welcome. I 'm in Sydney. Hope the fire didnt get too close to you. You are in the right place for photography.
01-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, John. You'll love it here.

I jumped from Spotmatics to a K10D and have no plans to update it any time soon. And I can still use all my screw-mount lenses on it.
01-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome mate!