Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

K-01 adaptability

Hello,
I am new to the Pentax forum, though I have been reading the discussions for years. I currently have 2 Pentax digital cameras--a K100D (with 16-45 and 50-200 lenses) and a point-and-shoot Optio A30. In addition, I have several Pentax film bodies with 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, 135mm and 200mm Pentax-M lenses. (Plus a Tokina 400mm lens which I use for birding and at sporting events.).

Currently, I am looking into buying a new dslr. I have tried the K-30 and the K-5, however, due to budget limitations and its slightly smaller size, I am thinking of buying a K-01 instead. (Which is not a dslr at all!) I have 3 questions for K-01 users: 1) How "weatherproof" is the K-01? Similar to a K-x or my K100d or not as solid as that? (I know it is not truly weatherproof, I just want to understand its build quality.) 2) How well does the autofocus system work? I've read many complaints, though several people think the latest software update has improved the K-01 in this area. 3)Most photographs taken with the K-01 seem to be taken with the 40mm lens. How well do you think the K-01 would work with a 50-200 lens or with my manual focus Pentax-M lenses? Do other lenses balance reasonably well with the K-01?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
thanks.

01-22-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's equal or better build quality than my K-x, and the autofocus is a billion times better. The K-x has much, much faster autofocus, but that doesn't matter one iota, because it's not accurate autofocus. With fast lenses especially, it misses focus all the damn time. With my K-x, I would often use the shotgun approach, taking multiple shots of the same subject, in the hopes that one of the shots would have perfect focus.

The K-01 has much slower autofocus, but it's actually still reasonably fast. But the kicker is that it's perfectly ACCURATE autofocus. It nails focus every time. I take one shot, and am confident it's in focus without even chimping. What's more... the K-01 is just a pleasure to use in every way. Now that I have K-01, I haven't touched my K-x since. It's just THAT good a camera.

Charles.
01-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larchman77 Quote
Hello,
I am new to the Pentax forum, though I have been reading the discussions for years. I currently have 2 Pentax digital cameras--a K100D (with 16-45 and 50-200 lenses) and a point-and-shoot Optio A30. In addition, I have several Pentax film bodies with 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 100mm, 135mm and 200mm Pentax-M lenses. (Plus a Tokina 400mm lens which I use for birding and at sporting events.).

Currently, I am looking into buying a new dslr. I have tried the K-30 and the K-5, however, due to budget limitations and its slightly smaller size, I am thinking of buying a K-01 instead. (Which is not a dslr at all!) I have 3 questions for K-01 users: 1) How "weatherproof" is the K-01? Similar to a K-x or my K100d or not as solid as that? (I know it is not truly weatherproof, I just want to understand its build quality.) 2) How well does the autofocus system work? I've read many complaints, though several people think the latest software update has improved the K-01 in this area. 3)Most photographs taken with the K-01 seem to be taken with the 40mm lens. How well do you think the K-01 would work with a 50-200 lens or with my manual focus Pentax-M lenses? Do other lenses balance reasonably well with the K-01?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
thanks.
The longer the lens, generally speaking, the slower the AF will feel. To get good AF performance on the K-01 you'll want a lens with short focusing throw such as the 40mm kit lens or the 18-135mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-23-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

With slow lenses (or zooms where on the long end it is over 5.6), you will get false locks from the autofocus, so it is not quite true that it is 100% accurate. Generally ok up to 5.6.

01-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In low light yeah, but I don't have any problems focusing longer lenses with my K-01 in the situations that warrant a long zoom (ie, bright or overcast light). Even the zooms that top out at f6.7 (which honestly are only the really cheap ones)

Charles.
01-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

1 - K-01 is NOT weather proof ... otherwise, quality built is very good
2 - AF works ... but the longer they are (the lenses), the slower it might fell ...
3 - Any M lens will work nicely. I found that if you use your left hand as a support for the camera and you shoot using your thumb, camera is very stable with almost any lens ... as long as you can hold them . Also, using this method of shooting, you can reach every single button.
01-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
In low light yeah, but I don't have any problems focusing longer lenses with my K-01 in the situations that warrant a long zoom (ie, bright or overcast light). Even the zooms that top out at f6.7 (which honestly are only the really cheap ones)

Charles.
I use the 18-250 as my all-around lens. It tops at 6.3 on the long-end, and while normal PDAF still works ok on the K-5 (except in low-light with difficult subjects where it will hunt), even in bright light the CDAF on both the K-5 and K-01 just seem hopeless once you go over 5.6 -- there seems to be a hard threshold there. Even in the studio with lights on the subject, it will false lock often.

01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The longer the lens, generally speaking, the slower the AF will feel
Not exactly accurate - as Richard Nixon would have stated.

For the K-01 it also depends upon the best available aperature; along with two other minor factors lighting and possible contrast of the subject.

I've had very few issues with any PK lens as long as the aperature is better than f4.5-f5.0. So if one happens to have a non constant aperature zoom lens that drops below that - then there is a possibility is will effect the focus ability of the lens - slightly. This is also easily adapted to.

But I've also personally rarely had issues with any of the longer telephoto lens, including; the Pentax 60-250 and even my frequently used Sigma 300mm - which works just as well on the K-01 as it does on a brand new variation K-5.

To address the other Original Poster issues...

The K-01 does not have a good weather resistance - but especially to water and or moisture. Ca nnot help but wonder as to how many K-01's have been destroyed beyond repaid by something as minor as a few drops of water. But it is resistant to cold weather. Given the single digit temps here over the last few days my K-01 held up remarkeably well - especially given that it currently does not offer unmodified secondary (bottom of camera) attachable battery packs or even the option of remote battery packs that would not violate the warranty terms. As for further build quality the K-01 is also remarkeably durable and of far above average build quality.

More later...
01-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #9

Original Poster
K-01 Questions

All these responses on focusing issues and the durability of the camera have been most helpful. I have never owned a weatherproof or waterproof camera. However, I have certainly used my Pentaxes in adverse weather conditions, trying to protect the camera body from moisture. I was really interested to hear about the K-01 in cold weather. This past weekend in Minnesota, with temperatures around zero, I made several hundred photos with my K100d. (Though I could tell my batteries didn't like it, the camera functioned well.) I was also intrigued to hear people's experiences with the 18-135 and 60-250 lenses. If I decide to purchase a K-01, I will use it mostly for nature and landscape photography. I would not expect it to be a workhorse for bird photography or sporting events.
01-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #10

I have gotten excellent results with a 70-300 Tamron macro lens on my K-01. The firmware update was a big improvement in focusing.