Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #1

2 months to go :-)

Hello pentaxers of the world,

After much consideration and much spending on crappy compacts I am finally going to enter the big boys club and get myself a DLSR. The model I've chosen is K-30.

Although I have read about this amazing looking camera, there are a few mysteries that I need to clear up :

Does the continuous shooting setting shoot at maximum megapixels ? Remember I am as green as a cabbage with DLSR's.

The other question, as stupid as it might seem, just how reliable and long lasting are Pentax cameras ?

I find that with all the compacts I've bought, they start slowing down or take longer to focus after about 8 months....I have soooooooo many times gone to throw my current compacts RICOH CX4 and my PANASONIC TZ8 against the wall, but I have to keep them as that's my entire camera collection.

I did seriously think about getting a SONY RX100, but for the price I could very nearly get a K-30.

The other thing that bugs me is the lens I choose, do I go for a WR zoom.....my thinking is if I want to get a close up, I'll move closer...I also don't get the whole 18-300 etc thing??? I just want a lens that allows me to take a good portrait photo of my family - btw, which software will be the easiest to remove the background so ican just cut my kids out and paste them to a blank background - My other big thing is taking photos indoors or in low light situations like children's ball pit areas, I have missed so many great shots or they have come out either as blurry/dark or my kids faces have looked like Casper the ghost.

All help will be very appreciated, I tried asking my local now defunked camera shop but they just kept pushing me to buy a hugely expensive Canon or Nikon otherwise they turned their noses up....great help eh ?

Many thanks for reading my essay ;-)

Skeferins

01-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skieferins Quote
Does the continuous shooting setting shoot at maximum megapixels ? Remember I am as green as a cabbage with DLSR's.
Yes. We aren't in the early 2000's anymore

The other question, as stupid as it might seem, just how reliable and long lasting are Pentax cameras ?
It depends on the camera. The K-30 has a rugged build quality and you can expect it to live for about 50,000 shots. My K-5 is two years old right now and I've only taken about 12,000 pics with it, so 5-6 years wouldn't be too much to ask of the K-30.

The other thing that bugs me is the lens I choose, do I go for a WR zoom.....my thinking is if I want to get a close up, I'll move closer...I also don't get the whole 18-300 etc thing??? I just want a lens that allows me to take a good portrait photo of my family - btw, which software will be the easiest to remove the background so ican just cut my kids out and paste them to a blank background - My other big thing is taking photos indoors or in low light situations like children's ball pit areas, I have missed so many great shots or they have come out either as blurry/dark or my kids faces have looked like Casper the ghost.
Get the 18-135mm kit:
Pentax K30 Digital Camera with 18-135mm Lens Kit (Black) 15635

You can read more about this lens in our lens database or in-depth reviews.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No question is stupid. Reliability is a very important element.

No brand is perfect, and based on what we see on the web, Pentax is as good as any other brand, probably not betterr (you can always get a dud, of course).

HOWEVER : there is one thing that differenciates Pentax : weather sealing. Many of its cameras and lenses are weather sealed, meaning they have protections against dust, moisture, waterr, salt, sand, etc. That makes these products more reliable than a non-weather sealed equivalent. In my opinion, and given my lifestyle, it's a huge bonus.