Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

I'm new - hello!

I've been lurking for a couple of months and learning a great deal. Finally got tired of the "you haven't posted on the forum yet" banner!
Okay, so here I am. I had an old Honeywell Pentax film camera that I saved up and bought when I graduated from high school. Loved that camera and got amazing pictures all around the world for about 15 years. Then I gave it to a student while teaching in another country doing missions work. (I'm from the US). Missed my camera, but never regretted!

So, I downsized to a compact 35mm film Samsung. After I had kids, it finally fell off the counter one too many times and bit the dust. So we "upgraded" and "downsized" to our first digital camera, a Pentax Optio back when the top o' the line (in my price range) was 6 mega pixels!

Well, once I had a smart phone, that was equal to the task, I quit carrying the Optio altogether. (Battery wasn't holding a very long charge after 6 or 7 years and hey! my phone is always in my back pocket!)

Now that all my pictures from the last 2 to 3 years have been taken with my phone, I found myself really yearning for a real camera again. I researched a lot of different cameras, and almost went with a couple of other brands. Then just before I bought one of them, I happened across a review for the K-01. I was intrigued. The more I read about it, the more I liked it. Of course, there was no place to see it and feel it. I'd have to order it online. I went to some stores and played with the other cameras and didn't like any of them.

So I bought the K-01 and have been really happy with it. Why? I like the screen and don't really care about a viewfinder - my eyes aren't great and I'm used to taking pics with the screen on my phone anyway. I really like the idea of using any Pentax lens, even the old ones. Of course, I gave all my old gear away, but I'm thinking about picking up an extra manual lens just for the fun of it. I really like the size and shape. I didn't want something quite as big as the DSLRs. With the 40mm kit lens, I can hold the camera and shoot all with one hand if I want to. I also liked the price. I bought it in December, aparently after Pentax had significantly lowered the K-01 price bracket. I didn't feel I could shell out what the DSLRs run at this time.

I know there are a few things I can't do with the K-01 that can be done with a DSLR, but it does ALMOST everything! Overall, I've been really happy with it. My kids are now calling me "the crazy camera lady." I probably won't be posting much - don't have time, but I'm happy to be a part of the "Pentax family" once again, and I won't have to look at that "introduce yourself" banner anymore!

01-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome look forward to seeing some shots from the new gear.
01-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, not another banner cheater! Just kidding, welcome and show us some pics