Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello

Hello from the North East of England.

Just picked up a K30 with the two WR 'kit' lenses as a secondary/day-to-day outfit. Wanted something light weight but decent, should have stuck with a Nikon to go with my Pro kit but I've never been a fan of the D7000 and the lesser bodies lack twin dials....a pet hate of mine. Quite happy to blat away with whatever is to hand so different brands, formats, shooting styles and suchlike don't bother me. The three items go great in a Billingham Hadley Pro with space for a Samsung Galaxy Camera, a Gorilla and a few choice accessories.

So far I'm very impressed with the sensor, the viewfinder is canny, it ticks along at a decent speed and the control layout is starting to gel. Love that I don't have to care if it gets wet, never worry about my other cameras so its business as usual when I'm out for a wander. Got a spare battery as I've read the life is limited and I'm in the market for a 35mm lens - might look at a MF one as I like old primes and get a 50mm while I'm at it.
Struggling a little with the AF as I'm used to al lot more focussing points and lenses with built in motors (which I know I could pick up if I wanted) plus the metering has a tendency to err on the side of under exposure. Bit more experimenting should have those quirks sorted and I can get on with just shooting away with confidence.

Anyhoo I will take a look around, post a few shots when I get a moment and try to join in where I can.

01-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by black pearl Quote
Hello from the North East of England.

Just picked up a K30 with the two WR 'kit' lenses as a secondary/day-to-day outfit. Wanted something light weight but decent, should have stuck with a Nikon to go with my Pro kit but I've never been a fan of the D7000 and the lesser bodies lack twin dials....a pet hate of mine. Quite happy to blat away with whatever is to hand so different brands, formats, shooting styles and suchlike don't bother me. The three items go great in a Billingham Hadley Pro with space for a Samsung Galaxy Camera, a Gorilla and a few choice accessories.

So far I'm very impressed with the sensor, the viewfinder is canny, it ticks along at a decent speed and the control layout is starting to gel. Love that I don't have to care if it gets wet, never worry about my other cameras so its business as usual when I'm out for a wander. Got a spare battery as I've read the life is limited and I'm in the market for a 35mm lens - might look at a MF one as I like old primes and get a 50mm while I'm at it.
Struggling a little with the AF as I'm used to al lot more focussing points and lenses with built in motors (which I know I could pick up if I wanted) plus the metering has a tendency to err on the side of under exposure. Bit more experimenting should have those quirks sorted and I can get on with just shooting away with confidence.

Anyhoo I will take a look around, post a few shots when I get a moment and try to join in where I can.
Welcome aboard! Pentax has the DA 35mm F2.4 and DA 35mm F2.8 macro limited (extremely sharp, but it's also a macro) lenses if you're interested in a 35mm. I've also heard great things about the upcoming Sigma 35mm F1.4 (already available for Canon, and just started shipping for Nikon) though it's obviously more of a FX lens.

It was definitely a good idea to get an extra battery! The K-30 doesn't have the sort of battery life that you can get with a K-5, especially considering the fact that there's no grip available for it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

I had thought about the 2.4 but the max aperture and iffy reports on the optics put me off - hadn't really looked into the macro though so might look at one, still the issue with the max aperture.....wish they made a 35mm f1.8. Likely end up with the Sigma if I want to stick with new AF glass.
The 31mm LE appeals but as this is just meant to be a secondary kit I'm not sure I want to invest that much money in a lens.