Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #1

Hello from Wiesbaden, Germany

Good evening everybody,

I'm a new member at Pentax forums. I have been shooting with an Pentax MX for half a year now, but I have some Pentax roots that go back into the days when I was a teenager and started photographing (in the mid 1980s...). At that time I owned a K1000 and later also a ME super with a couple of lenses. My Pentax stuff from the 80s was sold long ago to free cash for different gear, but after a decade or so as a Nikon shooter (I repent ) and a short digital intermezzo I returned to film photography a couple of years ago. I am mainly using manual rangefinder cameras and old folding cameras at the moment, but last year I decided I needed a film SLR again for everything I can't do with the other stuff. That is macro, long teles and so on... So I bought a nice chrome MX off Ebay and also found a couple of lenses (nothing special apart from a SMC-M 50 Macro) and have been enjoying the classic Pentax SLR experience from time to time. That was, until today, when to my great dismay the shutter release/lock unit of my MX suddenly became loose and fell off the camera. As if this lousy winter weather wasn't enough... I hope the camera can be repaired somehow, but I will write about that in a different thread in the appropriate sub forum...

01-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. I hope you can get your MX fixed too.
01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forums. My own silver MX is still going strong. This is certainly the place to find out where you might get yours fixed though. At least with all mechanical internals it should still be repairable.

Last edited by PJ1; 01-29-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
01-30-2013, 03:41 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for the welcome. The chrome MX is such a beautiful camera (its beauty being only surpassed by a black MX, of course ) and my individual copy, which I purchased last year together with an M 2.8/28 is in really nice condition, both cosmetically and technically. Very clean viewfinder, exposure meter accurate, shutter speeds very accurate and apart from the usual stubborn shutter speed dial everything smooth. Even the light seals and mirror damper still look good, maybe they have been replaced some time ago. It is somehow almost a shame I could buy it for only 45 Euros, I really do hope the shutter release problem is self-fixable, I already got some good advice in the other thread. It seems I will have to take off the top plate and see if I can reattach it.
The pic below was taken with the MX and the M macro 4/50 on Fuji Neopan 400. It was shot against the light. I picked up this lens in November at a camera shop in Japan cheaply, as it had a ring of slight internal haze around the circumference of the rear elements. I haven't noticed any problems so far in the pictures.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
7200  Photo 
01-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Hello, joeswe,

may be I give you information you already know, but when looking for somebody to fix a Pentax MX these sites could be good to have a look at:

TRITEC GmbH - Home
Digitalfotografie, Fotografen-Interviews, Berichte zur Fotografie & Fotowissen | Photab - Das Kameraportal

Years ago I had my Contax repaired at trite's and they did a good job.