Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Massachusetts

I'm really enjoying my K-5 and I'm starting to look into vintage glass (SMC-A lenses). It's great that this camera is so versatile and takes such outstandiing photos.

02-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Try
SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
I love every photo that has ever come off this lens

SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 Reviews - A Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
It's heavy but a fantastic and versatile lens

Good Luck
02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your suggestions. I just purchased (and am waiting to receive) on eBay a SMC Pentax A 35-135 F3.5-4.5. I was originally bidding on a 35-105mm but was outbid. Do you know anything about the 35-135? Is it as good as the 35-105??
02-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mbwhite Quote
Thanks for your suggestions. I just purchased (and am waiting to receive) on eBay a SMC Pentax A 35-135 F3.5-4.5. I was originally bidding on a 35-105mm but was outbid. Do you know anything about the 35-135? Is it as good as the 35-105??
Generally the 35-105mm is regarded as the better lens, but you do get a little more reach with the 35-135mm. Check the lens review DB for more!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Adam.
02-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't speak to the 35-135.

I have the 35-105 f3.5 and the 28-135 f4

Of those two I recommend the 35-105. It routinely gives me rich saturated photos. I love it.

If you have the cash buy the 35-105 to go up against your new 35-135 and sell the one you like the least.
02-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for yor suggestion. Do you mind telling me what camera are you using with the 35-105. As mentioned earlier, I am using the K5. But I do have a question regarding the focal length. Whenever I turn on my camera, there is a message asking me to input the focal length. When using a zoom as opposed to a prime lense, this can be a huge hassle. To have to input this info everytime you zoom to a different length, especially since there is no dedicated button that can be quickly accessed, makes using a manual lens very impractical. Do you know what impact there may be when inputting an incorrect focal length? Could it affect the picture quality in any way??? Sorry for this long-winded question. I would certainly appreciate any information you may have about this. Thanks.
02-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for yor suggestion. Do you mind telling me what camera are you using with the 35-105. As mentioned earlier, I am using the K5. But I do have a question regarding the focal length. Whenever I turn on my camera, there is a message asking me to input the focal length. When using a zoom as opposed to a prime lense, this can be a huge hassle. To have to input this info everytime you zoom to a different length, especially since there is no dedicated button that can be quickly accessed, makes using a manual lens very impractical. Do you know what impact there may be when inputting an incorrect focal length? Could it affect the picture quality in any way??? Sorry for this long-winded question. I would certainly appreciate any information you may have about this. Thanks.
I don't have a definitive answer but I see two choices.
Turn off Shake Reduction if you are shooting with higher shutter speeds.
Set the focal length to 70 to average the effects.
I'm bought the lens when I had the istD and have used it on the K10D, K5, K01 and now the K5iis.
It's a nostalgia lens for me, not one of my go to lenses but its got that old build quality that is just great to hold and shoot with.

02-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should set the focal length to the widest FL of your lens, this will eliminate over-correction by the SR mechanism.
There have been numerous threads about this, not necessarily easy to find in "search".
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/183199-shake-re...al-length.html

Cheers.
BTW, welcome to the forums.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-07-2013 at 05:41 PM.