Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New to DSLRs and new to Pentax

Hi everyone, Im new to DSLRs and new to Pentax. I had a Kodak Retina II for many years (until 2002-ish); however age and technology were to see it relegated to a cupboard. Beyond that, I borrowed when necessary, and made the most of a compact digital; but acutely felt its limitations - particularly in lower light.
This year I committed to upgrading. I had no idea what was going to buy, but I wanted a view finder because I cant use an LCD (under par eye sight).
More or less following my nose, I read widely for days on end, until I became interested in the K-5 which I found locally on ebay as display stock (2011) being sold with a Pentax 1 year warranty. Between watching the K-5 and the end of the auction I found my interest in the company Pentax and the K-5 had grown to the point that, win or lose, I had settled on the idea of a K-5.
I won with a margin of $5 off my reserve which was less than gray market stuff with no factory warranty - so I was happy. I have only the accompanying DA18-55ALWR, but find myself with a growing list of 'lenses to buy' 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 top of that!

02-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, happy to have you on board.
02-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to see a new face. If you're looking for "standard " lens, since the K-5 is APS-c you might want to consider starting with the 35 2.4. The 50 is a mild telephoto in APS-c. I shot for years with the kit, and the Sigma 70-300 macro, which can be had second hand for $100.
02-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks eaglem and normhead

Normhead, thanks for the lens suggestions!