Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new here

I just wanted to stop and say hi to all here. I just joined this forum but I am a long-time Pentax user. I'm here because I recently ventured into the digital SLR world with the recent purchase of my K10D in January. It has been a very exciting road so far, with new questions popping up all the time

My first Pentax was an SP1000 with a screw-mount lens if anyone remembers those (am I aging myself?), then later graduated to a K1000 (when the SP finally died), which I still have and dearly love. I also have a ZX-something-er-other with auto features that I got for taking shots of constantly on-the-move children.

I'm located in the Northern Virginia area and I'm looking forward to gleaning all kinds of useful information from everyone here.

Mel

02-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Igilligan

Welcome mel, this has been a very helpful place for me and my first DSLR.

I use those screw mount lenses all the time on my K100d... do you still have your old pentax glass?
What lens/lenses did you get with your K10d?
02-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! I had some off-brand zoom for my old screw-mount but the pictures taken with it came out rather grainy so I quit using it and just sort of lost track of it over the years with a gazillion moves.

The lens that came with my K1000 originally is just the standard Pentax-A 1:2 50mm. I would love to be able to use it on my K10D for the f-stop alone but I can't seem to get the camera to work with it in any mode. If its possible maybe I'll get it figured out someday

With my K10D I got a Tamron 28-80 mm 1:3.5-5.6. I also have a Quantaray1:4-5.6 70-300/macro zoom that I originally got for my film cameras that works just great on my digital. The autofocus mechanism broke on the lens that came with my other film camera (ZX-50 now that I 'm back with my cameras and can see) but it's a Pentax 1:4-5.6 35-80mm. It works just fine in manual focus mode if you can ignore the bits that rattle around in it. But it's just overlap really.

Thanks for the welcome!
02-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For the A 50 mm, just put the aperture ring on the A setting ,and you should be good to go ! Manual focus, but auto aperture.

02-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
For the A 50 mm, just put the aperture ring on the A setting ,and you should be good to go ! Manual focus, but auto aperture.
Wow it worked!!!! Cool. Thanks so much!

Now if I could just figure out how to get the skylight filter off of it I'd be set (it's on kinda cockeyed and stuck- and probably has been for many many years).

mel
02-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

slowly work on it, and don't apply too much pressure, you'll get it off eventually. Also Mel, you can use lenses without the A setting on the ap ring, just go to the custom menu, look for "using aperture ring" set it to allowed, and you can use old K and M lenses in manual mode !
02-25-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
slowly work on it, and don't apply too much pressure, you'll get it off eventually. Also Mel, you can use lenses without the A setting on the ap ring, just go to the custom menu, look for "using aperture ring" set it to allowed, and you can use old K and M lenses in manual mode !
Thanks for the tip. I do have also an older f2.8 wide angle without the A setting. Perhaps now maybe i can get more use out of it too being able to use it on the digital. This is what I love about Pentax. I didn't have to start over just because I bought a digital body. Everything old can be like new again.

Thanks again!

« Hello | Greetings »