Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hollywood Apprenticeship

I was born in Los Angeles on August 8, 1928. Like mostyoungsters, he had a favourite playground: it happened to be the old WarnerBros. Studio on Sunset Boulevard where my uncial worked as a production manager, I working as adarkroom accent on Sunset Boulevard for, Consolidated Film Industries inHollywood, where he worked for four years.

After graduating as an electrical engineer from CaliforniaInstitute of Technology (class of '48) I was hired by Byron Haskin, ASC, andhead of the Warner Bros. Special Effects Department on Stage 5 in Burbank.Since this was the largest such department in the movie business, I was able towork with some of the top cinematographers in the effects field, such as ASCfellows Edwin DuPar, Hans Koenekamp and Warren Lynch.

It was there, I got my photographic training films untilearly 1948, when, joined the special effects unit at Eagle-Lion, a lively youngcompany which had taken over the old Fine Arts Studio on Sunset Boulevard. Iworked there for over six years.

In 1955, I started worked for The Westheimer Company,located on Seward Street in Hollywood; I worked there for more than 30 years.This was one of the best equipped and most respected effects houses in theindustry, providing a full range of visual effects for motion pictures and TVshows.

The company was especially noted for elegant optical titleswith lettering superimposed over live backgrounds and matte shots in whichpainted or miniature elements were composited with previously photographedimages. Several leading visual effects experts learned the business at TheWestheimer Company, at were Richard Edlund, ASC, who was "my mentor. “Ibecame a lifetime member of IATSE, International Alliance of Theatrical StageEmployees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts of the UnitedStates.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
NIKON D80  Photo 
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, with your skills background, you should be able to keep a few of us right with stuff.
« Salut | My intro »