Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2013, 08:24 AM - 7 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Goodby

I've been a member here for a good long while, though not very active. I've mostly been using other gear. but when I acquired the K-01, I stepped back in, mostly in that venue. Today while browsing the photos, I "liked" a few, but then was told that I must " spread it around". Refused my "like". I refuse to be told what I can like, and what I cannot. That is not freedom.

So I will log out now, and wish every one a very good day.

Not angry, just very disappointed,

Steve

02-07-2013, 08:26 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry your freedom has been abridged.............all the best....
02-07-2013, 08:34 AM - 12 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Having been on sites where a couple of people just handed out likes back and forth among themselves and ended up with huge like totals, from two or three different users, I'm going with the current site policy. If you only like 1 or 2 people on the site, go hang out with your friends, you don't need to be on a site of 40,000 people. Likes to me are for telling people when they've done a good job...that you can only find a few people doing a good job on a site like this is just sad. I got the same message you did once, and what i took from it was that I wasn't spending enough time giving credit where credit is due. To me it's one of the responsibilities you accept when you come on the site. Encouraging your fellow site members. We all have our moments when a kind word from someone else picks us up. It doesn't cost anything to be that someone.
02-07-2013, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #4
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
^ very true. I didn't know that was ever an issue. Normhead I would have 'liked' your post but you already have 337.

02-07-2013, 09:18 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

That's typical of every forum on the internet. Usually, the unwritten intrawebs protocol is to post "hey, I like that but I have to spread reps around". Also, there is very little 'freedom' on a privately run website. FWIW, I gave you reps just based on how bizarre your post is.
02-07-2013, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It happened to me once, after 'liking' the same poster a little too often. I can see the reasoning behind it, so not a problem. There's more than one way to 'like' a post, anyway. Just respond in the thread with a compliment, or leave a msg in their guestbook .
02-07-2013, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Having been on sites where a couple of people just handed out likes back and forth among themselves and ended up with huge like totals, from two or three different users, I'm going with the current site policy. If you only like 1 or 2 people on the site, go hang out with your friends, you don't need to be on a site of 40,000 people. Likes to me are for telling people when they've done a good job...that you can only find a few people doing a good job on a site like this is just sad. I got the same message you did once, and what i took from it was that I wasn't spending enough time giving credit where credit is due. To me it's one of the responsibilities you accept when you come on the site. Encouraging your fellow site members. We all have our moments when a kind word from someone else picks us up. It doesn't cost anything to be that someone.
+1 very well said Norm

02-07-2013, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I'm confused? We should "like" things we like but not too much? Yes there are many people here but I can't "like" all of them at the same time I can only "like" what I am looking at, that one particular time.

If I can't "like" what I want, when I want. Then this is a feature I will more than likely avoid.

Who cares how many "likes" someone else has? To me it is about getting appreciation from the community on your contributions (but not too much, cause... Well just cause). Should we also limit our contributions?
02-07-2013, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Although I wasn't a moderator when the system was set up, I believe I know why it was done in that manner. To some, "likes" don't mean much, while others look at them as a popularity contest or some kind of justification system. In truth, they are merely a system to tell someone you liked their post and nothing more. If a person could give a "like" repeatedly, there would be nothing stopping them from forming another user ID and giving themselves untold numbers of "likes". Another scenario would be two people doing the same thing for each other.

The system isn't fool proof, but then very few things are. Encouraging people to give likes to more than one person forces us to look at other people's posts and works, and I believe that is good.

OP: Steve, I hope this helps you understand why the system is set the way it is, and that you reconsider leaving.
02-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

None of the 'like' or '+1' or 'heart' systems is perfect. I think they have value, it allows someone to thank someone who gave them good advice or spent the time to point them in the right direction. That does not mean they cannot be 'gamed'. i don't think that has been a problem here but it has definitely been a problem elsewhere. The limits put in place are to prevent people from gaming the system. I have had the same error message, there are folks on this forum that deserve 100 likes because they go above and beyond to help others. But I could not add another 'like', so I just posted a thank you to them and moved on.

I'm sorry you don't like the way the system has been implemented but without some rules it would be useless anyway. If you object to it, simply ignore it and post your 'like' as a thank you in a new post instead of in the 'like' system. This forum is about Pentax and photography not 'likes'.

To the OP, if you are leaving because of a minor system rule then unfortunately this forum did not provide you with much value. That is a shame because it has provided a community and and learning resource to many of us. I hope you will reconsider after giving this some thought and stick around. I think the value here outweighs any minor annoyances.
02-07-2013, 12:45 PM - 6 Likes   #11

I'm saving my likes up for a new car. It will be powered by dragons.
02-07-2013, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Although I wasn't a moderator when the system was set up, I believe I know why it was done in that manner. To some, "likes" don't mean much, while others look at them as a popularity contest or some kind of justification system. In truth, they are merely a system to tell someone you liked their post and nothing more. If a person could give a "like" repeatedly, there would be nothing stopping them from forming another user ID and giving themselves untold numbers of "likes". Another scenario would be two people doing the same thing for each other.

The system isn't fool proof, but then very few things are. Encouraging people to give likes to more than one person forces us to look at other people's posts and works, and I believe that is good.

OP: Steve, I hope this helps you understand why the system is set the way it is, and that you reconsider leaving.
Actually the likes do matter. You need likes to become a Pentaxian. As a Pentaxian you have access to the Marketplace without having to pay for it.
02-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Actually the likes do matter. You need likes to become a Pentaxian. As a Pentaxian you have access to the Marketplace without having to pay for it.
Yeah, I forgot about that aspect. Shows how much attention I pay to them!
02-07-2013, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

life is too short to take things this serious.
02-07-2013, 01:15 PM - 6 Likes   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
I've been a member here for a good long while, though not very active. I've mostly been using other gear. but when I acquired the K-01, I stepped back in, mostly in that venue. Today while browsing the photos, I "liked" a few, but then was told that I must " spread it around". Refused my "like". I refuse to be told what I can like, and what I cannot. That is not freedom.

So I will log out now, and wish every one a very good day.

Not angry, just very disappointed,

Steve
You'll be happy to hear that I've found a fix/workaround for this issue and I just implemented it. There should no longer be a limit on the number of likes you can issue per user, and BTW, I wouldn't let this technical glitch ruin your day

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread