Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 02:45 AM   #1

Hello!

Hello all,

I am Kevin, 21 years old and i am from the netherlands.
I have been saving money for a few months now and i will buy a pentax camera soon.
Still in doubt if i will go for the K-r (which is on sale now) or save a little more for the K-30. Which is around 150 more expensive.
I am a beginner photographer, started off with an compact but willing to learn more and start off with dSLR photography.

Any tips and tricks are welcome!

Greetings,

Kevin

02-08-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome Kevin. Having recently upgraded from the K-x to the K-30, I would save a little bit more and get the K-30 if I had to choose. Enjoy the forums and all the friendly advice
02-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice!

I've also heard that some of the K-r models having front focusing issues? The K-r is 399,- atm and the K-30 is at 565 with kitlens.
Not to forget that i am a beginning photographer, does the difficulty differ between the two models?

Greetings
02-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kehabouter Quote
I've also heard that some of the K-r models having front focusing issues?
One of the reasons I skipped the K-r. The K-30 have more features, as you can see from the model descriptions in the camera section Regarding ease of use, the beauty of it is you can start with auto and gradually start using the other features as you gain more experience, and as most of us eventually do, use Av, Tv, or TaV; or as the more professional folks want to do, go fully manual, to control every setting depending on what effect they want to achieve.
The pros are you can take your time and get all the help with the different aspects of photography in general, and the camera as such, from all the knowledgable people on the forums, just check out the forums and start asking specific questions that you need help with, in the beginners section, and you'll soon be on your way to a great experience.

02-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
I kindly thank you for your well informed awnser! I will search and read around to get fermilliar with this forum
02-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
groetjes Kevin, if it were me I would save for the K30 for the extra dials and weather sealing (but either the K30 or the K5 are both in dream land for me for now).

You are 21... buy as many good things, now, while you still can, would be my advice . Don't expect any more goodies until you're 51 .
02-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks russel! Will save for the K-30. I didn't know it had weather sealing, thats amazing! but how do i clean the glass on the lens if there is rain on it? (To get minimum amount of damage on the glass) use cotton?

Will have to go 30 years for 21 though, but anyway thanks for the advice
02-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
I see there was a pentax-cashback untill 15th of jan. i hope they will extend it, that would be really awesome!

https://www.cashback-pentax.com/nl

02-08-2013, 04:40 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kehabouter Quote
Will have to go 30 years for 21 though, but anyway thanks for the advice
I was only kidding... to a degree. (I have fond memories of living in NL for a few years around your age-good times.)

On the lens issue I'm not the best person to ask - try google. WR is not waterproofing. But a hood helps keep drops off the front element. My preference is air, then brush, then wet cloth (with ethanol or isopropanol) then dry cloth - microfibre works well. But I'm no expert. (some say a dirty front element matters very little, some say it contributes to poor contrast. When I get haze or halo on my pics I wonder whether that's why... but it could be standard for cheap lenses... still, I never suffered that so much back in 35mm days)