Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
back to film

Hello all
I was getting a little fed up of super HD images that appear everywhere nowadays, like CGI movies, totally unrealistic, maybe I'm just old but to me it seems like a different art,great for what it is but not my kind of photography . Perhaps I am alone here,and as everyone has huge HD tvs (Idon,t have a tv) I guess this is the norm!
Anyway all this led me to buying an MX ,a KX and some lenses on ebay, the MX needs work but the KX seems ok,,I bought ten cheapish Agfa films for testing and some good Fuji colour and some 400 Ilford delta b and w for the KX.
The lenses are pentax 50 1.4 pentax 50 1.7 Pentax 135 f4 and a Kiron 70 -210 zoomlock (new) (this is from memory so might be innacurate)
We do have a Pentax k5 11 for work and I would like to try these lenses on that too.
I am no photographer, and my last slr was a Zenit B in the seventies,so it will be a huge learning curve again.
We make Cello Violin and Guitars for a living and use the camera(s) to record each build and produce photobooks.
Websites are keldaycello.com keldayguitars.com, sheenalaurie.com and thefiddleandguitarshop.co.uk if anyone is interested in our work!

02-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful guitars! I used to play, so I checked those first. You should definitely get a setup where you can see better definition of the inlay work.
Cheers!
02-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
back to film

Thanks Ari
Yes, most of the photos are point and shoot, hence the K5 11 to try to improve the detail! I hope the film slr might work too but perhaps in a more "photographic" way. It will be a hobby for me anyway and I need something to get me off the workbench!
02-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey there, welcome! Just the other day I was looking at some old film photos and was thinking that digital just doesn't compare. But the good thing with Pentax is that you can use old film lenses on new digital cameras with no problem. I think the K-5 will be a great camera for product type shots, just get a nice close-focusing lens (maybe the 35mm ltd macro?) to capture the wonderful detail on those instruments

02-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

I love b/w grain, funny slide film colors and even color film grain - last week, picking up Kevin Kling's Children of the World for the first time in a while really brought that home to me.

We can have those effects and many similar besides, with digital... but to me I still have qualms about "faking it". I don't know why. I can think of many arguments for what's wrong with that complaint, but I still can't shake the feeling. (I even get it when I desaturate, although once I've done that I feel more liberated to manipulate in other ways.)
02-10-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey there, welcome! Just the other day I was looking at some old film photos and was thinking that digital just doesn't compare. But the good thing with Pentax is that you can use old film lenses on new digital cameras with no problem. I think the K-5 will be a great camera for product type shots, just get a nice close-focusing lens (maybe the 35mm ltd macro?) to capture the wonderful detail on those instruments
Na (hope it is not the other way around like in italian)
Ahh well, maybe I am not alone then I am still looking for a close up lens for the k5, but they are very expensive,might just try the manual m series!
02-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
I love b/w grain, funny slide film colors and even color film grain - last week, picking up Kevin Kling's Children of the World for the first time in a while really brought that home to me.

We can have those effects and many similar besides, with digital... but to me I still have qualms about "faking it". I don't know why. I can think of many arguments for what's wrong with that complaint, but I still can't shake the feeling. (I even get it when I desaturate, although once I've done that I feel more liberated to manipulate in other ways.)
Russell
That is my feeling too,although film is faked too in developing,it is just the unnatural sharpness and colours of digital that somehow troubles me,life just aint that clear !
02-10-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by russell2pi Quote
but to me I still have qualms about "faking it"
I used to feel similar, but there are now some cracking plug ins for Photoshop that even simulate individual film types, for example have a look at this page TrueGrain Overview.

The images they produce look exactly as I remember the film images used to, but hey, I'm an old bugger now and my memory can't be relied on.

P.S. It's all good memory works. I went back a checked physical images and it's hard to tell which is which.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 02-10-2013 at 02:57 AM.