Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #1

Hello from Kansas City

Just wanted to say hi! I'm new to this forum and becoming more serious about photography. I have done a bunch of research on DSLR and compact systems and I have narrowed it down to the K-01. I'm looking to upgrade from a point and shoot, mainly for outdoor/backwoods photos. I was very excited to stumble upon a Pentax forum and I am hoping to use it for troubleshooting and maybe even purchasing a camera or accessories.

02-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, it's good a place for both the two things you've mentioned.
02-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Greetings from Western Shawnee. Good to see another Pentax user in the area. I just got my K-30 and it was tough with very limited places in the KC area that carry Pentax product.
02-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Greetings from Western Shawnee. Good to see another Pentax user in the area. I just got my K-30 and it was tough with very limited places in the KC area that carry Pentax product.
Did you buy your K-30 local or at least get to look at it in person before purchase? If so, where did you go? I have done the research on paper and narrowed down my search to Pentax, but I'm not going to buy anything until I can physically see it..

02-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Nebraska Furniture Mart has the K-30 on display. That is the only place locally that I could find any Pentax products (aside from point and shoot cameras). Granted, I didn't check every camera shop in town but NFM was the only place that came up on the Pentax site. I bought mine through Adorama. I got the 18-135mm kit and Adorama was offering an additional promo package when I made the purchase. You are going to save quite a bit of money by shopping online but just make sure you are using an authorized dealer.
02-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by searat3030 Quote
Just wanted to say hi! I'm new to this forum and becoming more serious about photography. I have done a bunch of research on DSLR and compact systems and I have narrowed it down to the K-01. I'm looking to upgrade from a point and shoot, mainly for outdoor/backwoods photos. I was very excited to stumble upon a Pentax forum and I am hoping to use it for troubleshooting and maybe even purchasing a camera or accessories.
Welcome from another KC area Pentaxian!!!!!!
02-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And welcome also from yet another Kansas City Pentax user! I'm in Merriam
03-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Better late than never? I haven't been in KC long (since Jan 2013), but I'm here now! I'm in Olathe. Cheers!

03-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #9

I am a Pentaxian from Columbia, MO that is currently spending a year in South Korea. I have a K-m, K-x and just recently ordered a Q with the 01 and 03 lenses. I bought all 3 of my cameras off of Ebay after doing extensive research on them all. I read up on some professional reviews, but then I read reviews from actual owners of these cameras. That is the way to go, if you ask me. Read up on what actual people that have used it in their daily lives say, rather than a reviewer that sees it for a day.

Greetings fellow Missourians.
-Jim
03-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter

So with all of these KC folk posting in a thread ( I guess I could start a thread somewhere else but) are there any places around town to find Pentax products aside from NFM I mentioned above?
04-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter

NFM is the only place I've heard of in my short time here who carries Pentax gear. Their website shows too few items for me to warrant the trip to check them out. Do they have more in stock than they show online? I buy all my stuff online (always have) either through B/H or lately, Amazon (due to Visa card points... saved 50% on a 10-17 recently from points).
04-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
NFM is the only place I've heard of in my short time here who carries Pentax gear. Their website shows too few items for me to warrant the trip to check them out. Do they have more in stock than they show online? I buy all my stuff online (always have) either through B/H or lately, Amazon (due to Visa card points... saved 50% on a 10-17 recently from points).
They have a K-30 and a couple lenses that are over priced. It's good if you want to see something in person but I wouldn't buy from there.