Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #1

New

Hello
I'm new to this and I am also a newly proud owner of an digital k-r pentax. But I don't have a clue about lens. I mainly just wanted a good camera for taking pictures of my kids doing everyday activites. The camera came with a 18-55mm but it is not nearly what I need. I need something for awesome close ups. Are there any other brands of lens that are compatible with this camera? Thanks for the input.

Erica

02-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Erica, good to have you with us. If you wish to do close-ups of your dogs & kids you'll need a good sharp and fast lens.I would suggest the Sigma 105mm F2.8 Macro which apart from being an excellent Macro lens doubles as a very good and sharp portrait lens and at F2.8 is very fast.

02-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on how close you want to be to the subject. If you like insects which typically don't like a big object close to them, go for the 90mm+ macros. If you want tight shots of close subjects, the 28-50mm range is best. If you don't know, maybe the 50mm range will be good.

Most true macro lenses (not zooms) will be good.

I have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro and a Pentax FA100mm macro.
02-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #4

Welcome to the forums. I also have a Pentax K-r and enjoy taking pictures of my kids. I find that the lens I like to use might vary depending on the situation and environment.

Where are you taking mostly taking pictures of your kids? Indoors? Outdoors? In low light? I like to use a prime lens for close ups and when I don't mind moving my feet. If I'm taking a picture of my 5 year old at soccer or t-ball, I find that a longer zoom is necessary because the 18-55 kit lens can't get me close enough. If I need a good walkabout and my boys and I are outside, I like to take my Pentax 18-135. If I'm in the classroom taking pictures of my son, I just recently got a Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 macro to take pictures that I'm pleased with so far even though I've only had it for 5 days.

Good luck finding the lens for you! There are so many helpful people here to answer questions. I often find answers just doing a search without even asking a question. The forum members here are really helpful.

03-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
It depends on how close you want to be to the subject. If you like insects which typically don't like a big object close to them, go for the 90mm+ macros. If you want tight shots of close subjects, the 28-50mm range is best. If you don't know, maybe the 50mm range will be good.

Most true macro lenses (not zooms) will be good.

I have a Sigma 28mm f1.8 macro and a Pentax FA100mm macro.
Thank you so much for the helpful info.
03-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome, Erica.

I'm not sure from your original post whether "awesome close ups" refers to taking pictures of your family/kids or another use. Are you finding that the 18-55mm lens doesn't allow you to zoom in close enough? There are several Pentax lenses that might be suitable for you - e.g., the 18-135mm as suggested by civano - or others by Sigma and Tamron.

If you could provide a bit more detail on your usual photo situations, I'm sure the forum members can suggest a range of possible lenses across a range of prices.

Craig
03-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The Pentax 55-300 is a very good telephoto for daylight shots and is a good value at $379 or whatever it is up to these days. You can be 50 feet from your kids as they run around.

The next step up in "awesome" will cost twice as much, and weigh twice as much.

Some popular brands that fit Pentax (if the they are designated for Pentax or PK moint) are Sigma and Tamron.
Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

Many good lenses can be found in the marketplace.
The Pentax Marketplace | Sell Pentax | Photographic Equipment for Sale - PentaxForums.com

This seems like a bargain, and I'm surprised it has not sold yet.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/216880-sale-s...d-further.html
03-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Lots of good advice so far, I'll just welcome you the the forum.

03-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Welcome, Erica.

I'm not sure from your original post whether "awesome close ups" refers to taking pictures of your family/kids or another use. Are you finding that the 18-55mm lens doesn't allow you to zoom in close enough? There are several Pentax lenses that might be suitable for you - e.g., the 18-135mm as suggested by civano - or others by Sigma and Tamron.

If you could provide a bit more detail on your usual photo situations, I'm sure the forum members can suggest a range of possible lenses across a range of prices.

Craig
Mostly pictures of when my kids are in games, plays or when my daughter is in pageants.
03-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by erica36426 Quote
Mostly pictures of when my kids are in games, plays or when my daughter is in pageants.
Maybe some fast lens 50/1.4 or 50/1.8, im not sure on pentax, on digital i use eos,
On candid you may use tele/mid tele; my tamron sp di usd 70-300 has pretty fast AF and silent motor for candid use.
You may use candid for natural image.
03-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by erica36426 Quote
Outdoors where my son plays soccer or t-ball, I've used my Pentax 55-300 with satisfactory results. However, indoors in lower light, I haven't been too happy with the results. At those times, I wish I had a longer zoom or telephoto with a faster aperture. You may also want to post in the lens section to get some advice on what lenses to use. More people would likely see your thread and comment than in the introductions section.
03-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour From France and welcome to the Forums ... I would suggest the Pentax 55-300 or possibly a lens in the 18-250-ish category ... J