Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #1

Hello World!

Hello everyone and thanks for all the contributions to what looks like a great forum. I've been lurking a bit so I already know there is a lot of great knowledge out there, as well as great love for Pentax cameras. I hope someday I can add to that knowledge as I learn more. (I already have the great love for Pentax cameras. But then, there's always room to grow.)

I have a little bit of knowledge of photography from some college courses I took just a bit over ten years ago. And more recently I parlayed that knowledge into a couple of iffy photography jobs. (None required much knowledge of photography as much as working with people; i.e. shooting little league sports teams like anyone's kids will have done towards the end of their season- hand on hip, smile!, and later in a chain portrait studio- sit right here, chin up, smile! But in both of those environments the camera settings were fixed for me. Not any leeway or artistic expression other than great smiles.)

Now I am getting the itch to branch out. Both of those jobs were fun, but thankfully they have rekindled my love of photography.

My previous camera was a Pentax ZX-M full-manual film camera that I bought new back in 1999. I would still be using it if I hadn't damaged it on a Georgia beach a couple of years ago. (I think it was the sand. Now when I put film in it, the film advance fast-forwards it to the last frame, wasting a whole roll of film. Ouch!)

Now I am eagerly waiting for a K-7 that I just bought on ebay to come in the mail. (My fingers are twitching in anticipation!) Thanks to this forum I am confident that my previous lenses will fit. I just hope that my photography knowledge fits as well, although I know that area will need some updating. And I have a ton of questions forthcoming about that. So expect a lot of questions from me and don't be afraid to just tell me to 'shut up and shoot.'

My current lenses are:
SMC Pentax-F, 1:4 - 5.6, 35 - 80 zoom lens (I don't even know if it is auto-focus or not, but I will soon. It was the kit-lens I got on the ZX-M.)
Takumar 1:2.8 135mm fixed focal length lens (if memory serves me, this was my better piece of glass. I got it used, but in great condition), and a
SMC Pentax-M 1:2 50mm fixed focal length lens (I got it used as well and not a bad piece of glass either, if memory serves me right. But during my down-years, I let it get musty and I fear there might be a fungus among us. Is there a tutorial here about how to disassemble and clean a lens?)

I hope that sums me up succinctly. Like I said, I have a ton of questions for you all, but this is probably long enough. I'll try to post my questions in appropriately labeled threads. Hopefully I'll even be able to answer one or two of someone else's questions.

Thanks for having me,
Joe

02-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.
02-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks RockMaster! I hope this is the beginning to a long and beautiful friendship with this group.
02-21-2013, 02:52 AM   #4

Hi JoeMo,
welcome to the forums and have big fun with the new camera!
If you don't see the fungus well in the 50mm, maybe just try to use it as is?
I've disassembled a few lenses and I find it hard to clean all of the lenses meticously and not leave any dirt nor dust inside...
Through Google you'll find a few descriptions and on youtube a video of a Pentax-M 50mm 1.4 disassembly which could give you an idea.
Sometimes, in the back, there are a few little mechanisms or springs which aren't always as easy to get back together.

03-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dominique Quote
Hi JoeMo,
welcome to the forums and have big fun with the new camera!
If you don't see the fungus well in the 50mm, maybe just try to use it as is?
I've disassembled a few lenses and I find it hard to clean all of the lenses meticously and not leave any dirt nor dust inside...
Through Google you'll find a few descriptions and on youtube a video of a Pentax-M 50mm 1.4 disassembly which could give you an idea.
Sometimes, in the back, there are a few little mechanisms or springs which aren't always as easy to get back together.
Hi Dominique,
And thanks for the informative reply. Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back, but in between now and then I finally got my K-7 in the mail and I am loving it. Learning it and loving it.

Unfortunately for the 50mm, there is not only residue between the glass, but there is a high-water mark of where the fungus once grew to before it subsided. (Kind of like the moss on a pier, but more dry.) But I would rather chance disassembly to clean it rather than abandon it. Thanks for the Google and YouTube suggestions, I will use them.
03-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #6

Good to hear you're happy with the new camera!
Well, if it's that bad, I hope you'll be successfull opening and reassembling it.
If you got some macro capable point and shoot or a macro lens, you could take a quick photo of how each step looks like, to know afterwards how the parts went together...
And - a M 50/2 isn't expensive anyway on Ebay. Once you get a new 50mm, I'd recommend a A 50/1.7, so you wouldn't have to always press the green button when not shooting wide open...

Have lots of fun,
Dominique

Last edited by dominique; 03-02-2013 at 11:23 AM.
03-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome and hope the disassembly works in your favour. In the meantime, enjoy your photography, and this fine forum.

03-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dominique Quote
Good to hear you're happy with the new camera!
Well, if it's that bad, I hope you'll be successfull opening and reassembling it.
If you got some macro capable point and shoot or a macro lens, you could take a quick photo of how each step looks like, to know afterwards how the parts went together...
And - a M 50/2 isn't expensive anyway on Ebay. Once you get a new one, I'd recommend a A 50/1.7, so you wouldn't have to always press the green button when not shooting wide open...

Have lots of fun,
Dominique
Good point Dominique,

I do have a diopter set I didn't mention earlier that I forgot about and was playing around with again earlier tonight. It's a +1, +2, +4 set and with those stacked I can get closer than an old guy with bifocals. If I do get frisky and pull that lens apart, I will definitely document it. Thanks for the idea. If I make the video, I'll give you Producer credit. Or something equivalent or better. I did since clean the outside with rubbing alcohol and several q-tips. That helped a bunch but there is still quite a bit of flaking inside and there is one aperature blade, just one, that looks corroded through the lens. But that one looks really corroded. Everything seems to work fine, as I found out while I was chasing the cat around the house to test it. I am still leaning towards taking it apart, 'cause like you said, I could probably replace it cheap enough if I screw it up. Hopefully it's not any more complicated than a 3-speed bicycle hub. We'll see.

Also, thanks for the 'welcome' Ash. I love this forum so far, and the camera even more. (Even the shutter sounds nice. I like hearing it.)

I'm thinking Sunday for the lens-dissection. Usually nothing's happening so I can stay focused like a surgeon. I'll keep you all posted and a video link if I have enough SD card for the endeavour.

Thanks,
Joe