Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hi, my name is Michael and Im a Canon user

Haha

Yes, I use a Canon 40D and use adapters to use film Pentax- and other "vintage" lenses. The most used lens on my camera is Pentax SMC M 50mm 1.4. It is a lovely lens.

02-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Michael,
Question: is there a Canon related site as comprehensive and friendly as the Pentax Forum?
Dave
02-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome here Michael. Nice to know you (and many others) appreciate Pentax glass so much as to take the effort to mount it on non-Pentax cameras.
Hope you enjoy the forum.
02-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, don't upset too many folk here by mentioning how some Canon folk mutilate Pentax lenses to make 'em fit.

02-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, don't upset too many folk here by mentioning how some Canon folk mutilate Pentax lenses to make 'em fit.
I don't mind when they mutilate a K or M series lens, but when I see what is done to A series lenses...::
02-20-2013, 02:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
No Pentax lenses got harmed through my productions! It is only full frame cameras that need mutilation of lenses and I am not that rich
02-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #7

Original Poster
now I posted reviews of my pentax and zeiss jena lens. Helios 44-2 is on the way in the mail to me and then I will review that, too
02-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
GDROTH: I dont know of one. Actually, I didnt even perceive this one as a pentax forum. I am an avid reader of the lens review section - looking here first every time when browsing for info about vintage lenses. The system kept calling me a lurker who should join and I finally did

02-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

This is good.... the first step in understanding the nature of your addiction is to own up and embrace it.
02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I don't think anybody cares, as long as it's not a 200mm macro or something. I sold my 31mm as I probably would have been tempted. I did take the lever off my old well worn a50 f1.4, I got it when it came out, so I think I'm entitled.
02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sequoiagrove Quote
No Pentax lenses got harmed through my productions! It is only full frame cameras that need mutilation of lenses and I am not that rich
Welcome to the Forum - I take it that you are using PK to EOS adapters found on eBay - how quirky is it to mount or dismount the adapter from the K mount lens or mounting the lens to the Canon body? My niece just got herself a Canon T3i because she found video quality with the K-x inferior to the video shot with her friend's T3i and she has a few K mount lenses as well.
02-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #12

Haha

Yes, I use a Canon 40D and use adapters to use film Pentax- and other "vintage" lenses. The most used lens on my camera is Pentax SMC M 50mm 1.4. It is a lovely lens.
Hi Michael. As an interventionist I am obliged to ask you how do you feel about the Pentax lenses? On a scale of 1 - 5? And how does your Canon body feel in comparison to a Shake-Reduction body of a Pentax chassis?Can you feel yourself being freed from the exorbitant cost of proprietary lenses and feel more open to using any or all age of lenses, many with a greater aperture than what you are use to for the price?I kid of course. We are glad you are here. But out of curiosity, what does cause you to break the Canon ranks? My reason was that I already had some Pentax lenses, and I like their business philosphy.
02-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #13

Original Poster
Excanonfd: I buy an adapter per lens and put it on and leave it. K mount is the best (compared to M42) because there is a spring pin that locks it in place. it is hard to get it off again. If you get the type with glued AF chip, you might have to scrape some glue off to rotate the bajonet all the way. M42 just screws on so when you take off the lens from the body it might unscrew the lens instead of the adapter.

JoeMo: Haha. When I got started with DSLR was the time when Rebel 400D just came out and Rebel 350D was legendary. The Pentax option was K100, which did seem inferior to the rebel. Also all professional photographers were using Canon, which probably also swayed me. Those were the cameras I was considering. Back then I didn't know anything about the vintage lens ecosystem, and if I did I probably would have been in both legs the Pentax camp It is good I didn't choose Nikon, because then I'd be screwed. How well does the chip image stabilization work, anyway? The lens I am currently stalking for is Takumar 200mm 16 aperture blades.
02-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #14

Excanonfd: I buy an adapter per lens and put it on and leave it. K mount is the best (compared to M42) because there is a spring pin that locks it in place. it is hard to get it off again. If you get the type with glued AF chip, you might have to scrape some glue off to rotate the bajonet all the way. M42 just screws on so when you take off the lens from the body it might unscrew the lens instead of the adapter.

JoeMo: Haha. When I got started with DSLR was the time when Rebel 400D just came out and Rebel 350D was legendary. The Pentax option was K100, which did seem inferior to the rebel. Also all professional photographers were using Canon, which probably also swayed me. Those were the cameras I was considering. Back then I didn't know anything about the vintage lens ecosystem, and if I did I probably would have been in both legs the Pentax camp It is good I didn't choose Nikon, because then I'd be screwed. How well does the chip image stabilization work, anyway? The lens I am currently stalking for is Takumar 200mm 16 aperture blades.
sequoiagrove: I like your moxie! And perhaps too the cut of your jib. You seem like a good friend in my book! I was sceptical too about first coming back to Pentax. At least until all the plusses seemed to gather on the side of old lenses working with newer bodies and shake-reduction being built into the body. (I abhorred the idea of buying a lens for what is already built-in on another body.) And I always had a strong love for the under-dog with better ideas such as Pentax, Volkswagen and Apple. Now that I have run my course, I hope you enjoy your stay here and if there is anything I can do to help you, let me know. You seem like good people.
02-21-2013, 03:10 AM   #15

Original Poster
Since when are Volkswagon and Apple underdogs? Volkswagons are ubiquitous in Denmark and Apple is a control freak who has all other companies and their poor users by the balls, force feeding them with the single one-size-claims-to-fit-all-but-not-really choices they provide ;P

Btw how come Pentax doesnt have any fullframe options? I do plan to get a FF camera in the future. Ofc. I could get a used film pentax