Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
just got a K-x, what now?

Hey guys, just introducing myself (because the forum prompted me to). recently got interested in photography (through instagram, though i am sure that i just lost some respect from admitting that). so i started a few month ago with a crappy fujifilm crossover, decided i wanted more and i found was seems like a great deal on a K-x off craigslist. got the body, a DAL 18-55, and 50-200 zoom, with original paperwork, bunch of sd cars, and brand new energizer rechargables for 250 bucks. so i convinced my wife and now i have it. i have been reading up and trying to teach myself but i am thinking about taking a college course sometime. either way just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. might be sharing some stuff tonight. also, i have no PP software other than the digital filters and whatnot available on the camera itself, which i am still learning about.

today was my fist day using the manual function on the camera. i have a thing for grave yards, old one. i live in Tennessee, so there are a ton of them. my and my wife actually go out on every other saturday and hunt for them, though she has no patience for waiting around while i take a thousand pictures, so i dont get many. i am particularly intrigued with the colors of the moss that grows on the older stones, and the textures and porosity of the old stones.

apart from graveyards, the sky. i think the sky is the most beautiful part of my life, apart from my wife. i have yet to take any good photos of it though. i just find it very hard to take a photo of the sky that does it any justice. someday i hope to figure it out. ill be sharing some photos in the forums soon. maybe one i took today. they are not professionally good, but not horribly bad either i dont think. guesss ill find out.

02-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get all the help you require here from the friendly members.
02-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-x as well, I really enjoy it. I guess the best way to learn the ins and outs of the camera is get out there and use all the functions. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 02-24-2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Typo
02-23-2013, 01:02 AM   #4

Good on you. I love the sky, too. Very hard to bring it across in a photo, I agree.

I can also relate to being in love with a woman with no patience for photography (not to mention tight control of the purse strings). Generally it's not worth the grief to attempt to take serious photos with the family in tow, no matter how engrossing the subject .

02-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #5

Welcome, You did get a pretty amazing deal. The lenses alone would be around that much. You can tell your wife that and she'll feel like you made an economical choice and actually made money for your family.
02-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well, thats pretty much how i sold her on it. i supplement may a third of my income on ebay, and would easily make money if i turned around and sold the kx right now. so if something happens and we go broke tomorrow, getting my money back shouldnt be a problem.
02-23-2013, 05:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Sounds like you live in an interesting place. You might want to get a good prime lens, this is what Pentax is known. Maybe a 21mm for graveyards and sky shots. The best part of Pentax is you can buy A-series or F-series used lenses and they will work just as well on your camera (well, A-series has no AF, but everything else will work). Oh, and let me warn you, there is a trap with digital cameras - making the photographer take too many photos, which makes them less valuable. I try to take as few shots as possible (without missing any) and take more time for each shot.

02-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. Where in Tennessee do you live?
02-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
smf
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentaxforums and to the ranks of K-x owners.
Although it isn't extremely active, you might want to join and contribute to this social group within Pentaxforums:
Pentax K-x users - PentaxForums.com
At some point you might consider exhibiting and perhaps publishing some of your graveyard photos, which might be especially interesting to people interested in the South and/or the Civil War (War Between The States).
A possibility for approaching the patience issue: When you and your wife are together, photograph objects, scenes or situations in which you and she have mutual interest. And seek her advice and comments on your photography of that and other subjects.
Best wishes!
02-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #10

Despite being discontinued for a while now the K-x is still a great performer especialy at high ISO, (I've got two!)
but keep in mind it needs a good set of NiMH rechargeable AA batteries to function.

Brands like Eneloops, Ansmann, Powerex (if possible all of 2600 MaH. or better capacity)
often perform longer than easier to find common Wal-Mart Energizers/Duracells NiMh's.

Last edited by mlatour; 02-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.
02-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

First off, welcome & congrats on the K-x. It's a great camera! (I've got two & love 'em.) You did well.

QuoteOriginally posted by skidmarkroyalty Quote
i have a thing for grave yards, old one.
Hey - me too!!! With all the civil war history, etc. in your neck of the woods, yours are probably more photogenic than the graveyards of Iowa, where I live... My wife & I enjoy hitting the countryside & looking for old pioneer cemeteries & abandoned structures. I'm a weirdo who likes creepy stuff, I guess. :-P

If you need to get started with some good free software, GIMP is a good one. You can get it here.

Here's a list of other free photo software.

And another list.

There are a lot of good photo freeware packages out there. Try a bunch & find out what works for you. Just be careful of viruses & malware.

Both of those lenses you have are great starter lenses. Later, maybe you'll want to pick up a fast 50 for low light stuff, or a long tele or something. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good info here on the forum to help you out.

The best way to learn is to get out there & shoot. I'm sure you'll have a blast doing it! I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photos, too.

Good luck & have fun!
Bob :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 02-23-2013 at 07:32 AM.
02-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
First off, welcome & congrats on the K-x. It's a great camera! (I've got two & love 'em.) You did well.

Both of those lenses you have are great starter lenses. Later, maybe you'll want to pick up a fast 50 for low light stuff, or a long tele or something. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good info here on the forum to help you out.
i have been scoping out ebay listings for the past week looking for a 1.7 50mm prime, and i am meeting a guy to pick up a 20 dollar promaster 100-300 tomorrow (if he doesnt bail, it is craigslist so he probably wont show up). i want the zoom cause my uncle in law has some hunting blinds that are like a 10 minute walk from my house. im gonna walk up there some morning and see if i can get any shots of deer or coyotes.
02-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the graveyards around here are fantastic. i live in clarksville tn, about 40 minutes from downtown nashville. IMO the clarksville graveyard, despite being in the middle of the clarksville ghetto, is more scenic than the Savannah GA graveyard. ill pull some pics from the fall off of my fujifilm cam and post em tonight. the clarksville graveyard has a pretty large section of civil war graves. and i monument to confederate soldiers. after saying this i would like to point out that i am not a souther boy. i am an army brat, this just happen to be where i ended up. haha. thanks everyone for all the advice, if all goes well i wont have to pay money for a college course, yall can be my teachers.
02-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

i am meeting a guy to pick up a 20 dollar promaster 100-300 tomorrow (if he doesnt bail, it is craigslist so he probably wont show up).
This one? For $20 it's a heckuva deal! Just make sure the optics are clear, look for fungus, oil on the blades, etc. He'll probably show up. I've gotten some good deals on Craigslist.

For wildlife from a blind, you'll probably eventually want to get a longer lens and a good tripod. There are a lot of good choices. I use a Tair 3M-5CA 500mm mirror lens (available typically for around $100-$150) and a Manfrotto 055PROB tripod. About the only other mirror lens I'd bother with is the Tamron 55B or 55BB. Most of the others are subpar at best. The Tair is excellent, though.

You might try putting a listing under the "Wanted" section in the forum marketplace for a 50/1.7. An "A" version shouldn't cost you more than $50. If you have some local camera shops you might want to check their used department. I picked up my A 50/1.7 for $30 from a local shop.

I think you're in for some fun, though!

the graveyards around here are fantastic. i live in clarksville tn, about 40 minutes from downtown nashville. IMO the clarksville graveyard, despite being in the middle of the clarksville ghetto, is more scenic than the Savannah GA graveyard.
I'm envious!

Cheers,
Bob :-)
02-23-2013, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
greenwood cemetary in clarksville tn
Attached Images

« Hello! | Newbie »